Battery drainage - Iphone 16gb 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by adz1179, Jul 1, 2010.

1. adz1179 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Upgraded to iOS4 about 2 weeks ago, all good.

For the last three nights (Consecutively) im waking up to a dead iphone. I thought maybe the battery wasn't charged enough so last night had it charged to 100%, same thing. Dead this morning.

Its my work mobile phone and its used all day and the battery will hold up fine (well as good as an iphone can) with constant emails, calls, apps etc - only dropping around 50% over a full 8-10 hour day of heavy use.

Why it works all day and then wont last 6-7 hours with NO use has got me buggered....

Could this be in any way related to a dodgy app? just so happens I put a few new ones on the day it started....

Thanks for any help / advice...

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Are you keeping up with deleting unused apps. and turning off Location Services when necessary?

3. adz1179 thread starter macrumors newbie

Deleting unused apps... probably a bit lazy there and need to get rid of a few...

location services... i leave it on... ive had the phone for about 4-5 weeks and have always left location services on... its never caused this before... i was thinking of deleting the apps i got 3 days ago, see what happens... if nothing then i can turn this off...

4. Longwire macrumors newbie

Same problem

3gs with the iOS4 software. The battery goes from 100 to 0% in 4hrs. with just being turned on. Apple Store checked the battery and suggested reinstall original settings/reboot. No help.

Now the phone support suggests I return the phone. Suggestions? What are location services? Needed? Deactivate?

Advice greatly appreciated!

5. adz1179 thread starter macrumors newbie

i think ive figured out this is being caused by wi-fi... i suspected dodgy apps so deleted all of the ones installed since the cause of the problem but that did not helo, the battery still fully drained overnight.

the next night i went into task manager and cleared out every app... the battery did not fully drain overnight, but went from 100% down to under 10% so still pretty crappy...

third night, left all apps in the backround, turned off wi-fi, 100% going to bed, 89% in the morning hooray... at least ive figured out the issue, but pretty poor design if wi-fi is constantly active in sleep mode.... hope apple release a fix for this soon...

6. babbit macrumors member

You're lucky it's only wifi. My iPhone 3GS 16GB drains from 100% to 0 in less than a day when completely off, which I'm assuming means all radios are off. Even in airplane mode with my phone asleep, it lasts less than 12 hours. This phone used to last me over 2 days. The battery problems started happening right after I updated.