iPhone XR Battery drained New in Box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JimiP, Dec 3, 2018.

1. JimiP macrumors newbie

Upgrading from my iP6 I was excited to unbox my new blur XR last week to find it not powering up...upon connecting to power source I found that the battery was fully drained. Is this typical.? Should I be concerned? Is there anything I should look for? Would you have marched back to the store and demand a new one?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

If it were me, I would have just plugged it in and charged it and been on my merry way

3. ondert macrumors 6502

ondert

In some cases it happens, but generally it means that someone has already opened it and re-sealed again. Did you buy from a reseller? That happened to me last year with iPhone 8 purchase. I bought it from a reseller and didn't check it (I was in hurry). However, it causes no harm to the phone.

4. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'd use it for my 14 days and if it had issues, I'd return it and buy another (assuming you bought it from Apple).

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yep use it. I think the Holiday return period is now free the first of the year before you have to return.

6. JimiP thread starter macrumors newbie

Purchased at Verizon. It appeared factory sealed to me.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Verizon or one of it's "authorized re-sellers"?

I do not think I have ever got an Apple device that the battery was dead.

8. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

Charge it, make sure battery health is on 100% and be done with it. Bunch of babies.

9. JimiP thread starter macrumors newbie

Actual Verizon store.

10. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I purchased an XS from Verizon for my husband. We had the same issue. Restoration from an iCloud backup, at the Verizon store, did not help the charging. When we got home, we charged the phone wirelessly and have had no problems since.

11. BLBL macrumors 6502a

Was that manufactured in Zhengzhou factory (Usually serial number starts with F like FK or F1)? Also have you checked manufacturing day (also can be found using serial number and some web sites that decode serials, like chipmunk)?

My X was from serial number starting with FK.... and while it did not arrive with completely empty battery, it was seriously lower that what any of my new Apple devices have been and I was wondering it that is just policy at certain factory not to charge batteries, or is battery weak and seriously self discharging itself.

12. JimiP thread starter macrumors newbie

Serial number does start with F1 so maybe it is a product of a factory that packages phones with batteries at less (or no) charge. If the battery was defective would it show up as healthy in the battery health app?

13. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Once the battery is fully charged, it should be fine in the battery app.

14. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

I can't imagine Apple would tolerate any variation in out of box experience based on manufacturing site.

"You have a product from our F2 plant? Well, that's normal. They sometimes forget to include Apple stickers in box."

15. BLBL macrumors 6502a

I don't know what gives but my personal experience has been that the products are not equal in every way when they are from the different factory, and in my case those with serial F.. have been always worse than serial D...
    I know my experience it too limited to say for sure but in case that was rare then what are the odds that I keep seeing this thing with the products I buy? When it happens once - maybe I could blame for being born under a bad star but when it happens in a consequently, then what?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Interesting but definitely looks what I'm seeing here. Mine was not fully drained but seriously low compared to what I have been usually getting. I guess it should be fine unless it has been empty for a long time. Also in case you charged it from empty to full and battery menu still shows battery capacity 100% it is probably not seriously damaged but only time will tell. In my case, I still think battery is draining faster than it should.

You could also try PC programs like Coconut Battery for Mac or iMazing for Windows to see more detailed information about battery.