Battery draining crazy fast.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thundermustard, Nov 22, 2010.

1. thundermustard macrumors regular

I have two iPhone 3GS'. Both jailbroke on 4.0.1, suddenly both have horrible battery life.
    I know the drill, jailbreaking runs down the battery but this is epic.
    No difference other than doing any Cydia updates as they show up.
    I have SSH off and have made sure there are no programs running in background.
    Both have MyWi on them, and they get updated often. Neither is on.
    Anyone else experience this lately?

2. Jxo177 macrumors newbie

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

But, not to crazy level. I hardly notice any difference, and on standby through the night, it's the normal 1% drop.

To OP, if both are experiencing the same fast drain, it's probably something you installed on both. Try uninstalling apps one by one and see.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

mine drops fast as well...since jb'ing. tried the 'downgrade mobile substrate" trick, have tried disabling various jp apps, themes... haven't fixed it (but not giving up my JB all things considered).

ah well...

5. thundermustard thread starter macrumors regular

We are talking crazy fast. My wife used to finish the day at 50% or so. Now she is at 8%. Seemed to happen about a week ago same as mine.

6. Pogue Mahone macrumors newbie

Another question about Battery life

My battery seems to go down much quicker when Wifi is on vs. when 3G is on.

Example:

I had Wifi on two nights ago and 3G off, and the battery dropped around 20% overnight.

Did the experiment yesterday but had 3G on instead and Wifi off. The battery dropped 1-2% overnight.

The settings were the same for both nights with no background apps running.

Anyone know why this might be happening?

7. eekcat macrumors 6502a

Happened to me a few days ago -- not sure what caused it though. I restored to 4.1, then restored from a backup w/o re-jailbreaking it, and it was still draining >10%/hr. Then I just plain restored it w/o re-applying the backup, just set it up as a new phone, and now I'm getting insanely great battery life (1% overnight), maybe 10-15%/day, even jailbroken.

8. joarobi macrumors newbie

iphone 3 battery draining and ipod dropping out after one song

I've been struggling with this issue for 4 weeks and was ready to throw the phone out. Apple said it definitely wasn't anything to do with the phone. Did a full factory reset, deleted all apps and re installed i-tunes, but no difference. Battery was still taking ages to charge and battery life would be half an hour to an hour, without using the phone. Another issue I had was the ipod disconnecting after 1-2 songs for no apparent reason.
    I had a feeling it was a problem with my exchange account, this was confirmed a couple of days ago. If you have an exchange account make sure you respond to all calendar invites, so accept, decline etc. I hadn't and my iphone was constantly trying to resolve, hence it sitting on connect constantly when I opened mail and draining the battery. I've deleted all old calendar invites, recurrences and responded to all existing and new invites. Problem is now solved, battery is perfect, ipod works fine and mail is now connecting properly. I've reinstalled all of my apps and still all working perfectly.

Hope that helps

9. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Microsoft must be out to kill the iPhone. Glad you figured it out!

A couple weeks ago, I noticed my battery drained completely during the day while I was at work. My lab gets poor cell reception, and I always attributed the battery-draining problem due to the phone constantly searching for a signal. Though I'm also jailbroken and a few of my apps/tweaks use MobileSubstrate, I never thought that was the issue. I just keep the phone on airplane mode when its idling while I'm at work. It's not like I'd be able to answer a call anyway. So far, it's obviously worked just fine.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This couldn't be more untrue.

Having root access doesn't affect battery life in any way possible.

Maybe if you say some Jailbreaking app affect battery life, MAYBE..but that is also true with Official Appstore app.

11. z00ty macrumors newbie

I had an odd batt drain on my ip4 that cropped up (usually only lost 1-2% overnight but then it was 10-20% overnight). uninstalled bitesms and reinstalled it, that solved it.

12. Sageoen macrumors newbie

This has happened to me starting about 3-4 days ago. I don't know what is going on. I jailbroke at the beginning of iOS 4.1 (I have an iPhone 3G). I don't use push and all the other stuff (3g) so it's off. I have wifi on (will test what happens if I turn it off). I lose about 10-15% overnight. Listening to music for 4 hours makes my battery drop to 20% about. I calibrated the battery recently (after I realized I had an issue)... Let me know what the work around (solution) is. My memory seems ok, I have 30mb free...so it's not that. Location services are off.

13. Super7668 macrumors member

Had same problem on my 3GS with 4.2.1 JB &UL. Turn off notification, then it's all back to normal. Once turn it on, it drains like 1% every 5 mins on stand by.