Battery draining faster after 8.1 update.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rodetrip, Oct 20, 2014.

1. rodetrip macrumors regular

rodetrip

updated my iphone 6 to 8.1 from 8.0.2 5 hours ago and i noticed a big battery drain with normal use. anyone else experiencing this?

2. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

3. fortheus macrumors regular

Likely reindexing your data. Check again tomorrow

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Give it a few days and charging cycles as looking at things after an update right away isn't really the most realistic everyday comparison.

5. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Ohh boy. Here we go again... it's been a few hours. Give it time to settle and go through a battery cycle.

6. stealthwm macrumors newbie

Mine is also draining quickly and the phone is extremely hot.

I updated yesterday when it was released and today it's still happening. I went in and disabled location, siri, spotlight, background apps and anything else I could to try to disable, but it's still running hot and draining.

7. imagineadam macrumors 65816

Here's a tip. Look in the App Store for "Appswitch". It's a nice way of checking if your phone is doing something weird that it shouldn't be doing. Your cpu shoud be idling between 2-7% if it's steadily higher you know some process is stuck or something is going on in the background. I check the usage after every update and periodically throughout the day to make sure my phone is behaving ok.

8. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Never fails.. Literally hours after a new iOS release someone comes on here and proclaims in their extensive testing that battery life is diminished.

9. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Yeah, and then the trolls sign up today (like above) just to post false stuff. :rolleyes:

10. rocat1997 macrumors regular

No fellas. It is draining much faster. Mine used 70% in 4 hours. But the os is more stable. Will reevaluate it in a couple of days.

11. BlendedFrog macrumors regular

I don't get why people don't realize this. After every update, Apple turns bluetooth back on and sets the screen brightness up to high. That is the reason for battery drain.

So...if you don't use BT, make sure you turn it back off. Also check your screen brightness level.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I keep Wifi, BT, Location services and Background app refresh on at all times and my phone goes easily 10-12 hours if I'm not talking on it for an extended period of time so I wouldn't point fingers at BT as a the culprit.

13. Topher227 macrumors regular

This happened to me after updating yesterday as well.

I found that the problem was that iCloud Photo Library was re-syncing my entire photo library. Went from about 90% to 50% in maybe an hour. After that finished, it's been smooth sailing since.

14. Bengalhawks macrumors newbie

It is most definitely draining the battery quicker. The overall 8.1 experience is much better but it has ate up the battery. I'll see how it is tomorrow but there is definitely a difference to what it used to be.

15. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Hate to say it but mine draining faster too.

However I wonder if sms relay has something to do it with. I've been messaging quite a lot from my Mac today to be fair.

16. theBostonian Suspended

The bluetooth has nothing to do with it, the technology is very energy efficient.

To the OP and others who suspect a runaway process is eating their battery life: double tap the home button, close all open programs, then force a shutdown by holding the power and home button simultaneously.

This rebuilds caches and may or may not fix your battery "problem".

17. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Never had issues with battery drain but now with restored as new iPad Air and 5S I notice huge battery drain after second charge. Installed only some 3rd party apps. Something really is wrong. Furthermore, my friends also noticed huge battery drain

18. CrzyP macrumors 6502

My battery life seems to be better on my 5s. I'd normally be at 40 percent about now but I'm at 57.

19. MaximoMark79 macrumors newbie

No issues after updating my 6 from 8.0.2 to 8.1, battery is just the same!

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

No issues with my 6 although it did seem to take a long time to recharge after upgrading to 8.1. Minor use over the last 24 hours and still at 79%

21. MaxPayne79 macrumors regular

same here but on my 5. it's pretty bad. More and more people are reposting this so you're not alone. It started with the beta 2 and was carried over to the official release. crazy ******** sloppy job.

22. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

23. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

my battery is fine & near the same as 8.0.2, beta 1 & 2 were good as well in the same boat as final, maybe slightly better when on standby & i never setup as new except to test then restore my backup, i always upgrade as the whole restore as new myths everywhere are complete crap 90% of the time