Battery draining in standby

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mpossoff, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hi I restored my iPhone as new yesterday because it seemed like I was experiencing not normal battery life. Apple care suggested I do that if I think I have a problem.

Now that my iPhone is restored as new in standby I'm experiencing about 3% drop/30 minutes.

I have 3G and wifi on, and everything else is off such as location services, notifications etc.

I've done some research about the weather app that it could be the culprit. Also corrupted apps.

Any help to trouble shoot?

This is a replacement and worked great up until yesterday morning. I already cycled battery( drained it and full charge).

Marc

2. kangaralph macrumors member

Same happened to me this morning, and this fixed it.
    Check the Settings>General>Auto-Lock setting.
    If it's as "Never" put it to "1-Minute".

It'll be back to normal after that trust me.

3. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks I had it set to that already.

Marc

To test I turned off wifi, keeping 3G on and all other stuff is off(notifications, location service etc). How do you determine if an app is type of app that runs in multi task mode?

Marc

4. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Have you tried turning the phone completely OFF. That should close any background-running apps. When mine drains quickly that's what I do and so far it's worked.

5. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks will do. But how do you decipher which of the apps in the multi task function(when you tap home twice) are multi tasking? In other words let's say the weather app is in multi task function... Is the weather app multi tasking?

Marc

6. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in knowing this too, that's why I play safe and do a complete switch-off from time to time and especially when I get battery-draining problems. Computers generally, though, benefit from a reboot from time to time.

7. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

This is my current numbers. Still better than when I had the 3GS.

All 3G heavy use, wifi turned off, location services and notifications off.

Marc

Attached Files:

8. Injector macrumors newbie

A 3% drop in 30 mins with wifi and 3G on seems perfectly acceptable to me. Bear in mind that the percentage reading is approximate anyway. These things don't run on thin air, battery power is a requirement unfortunately.

9. hardsc02 macrumors member

Buy the Mophie case. It is the best accessory I've ever bought for my iPhone. No need to EVER worry about battery life anymore.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That’s not even close to being acceptable. During a workday, you’re fine with losing 30% of your battery life for nothing? You’re fine with your battery being dead in <24 hours when you haven’t used the phone?

11. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Currently my average on 3G with usage is 30'ish minutes/10%.

In other words if I'm at 90% and start using my iPhone; surfing the Internet, posting to forums, watching you tube videos in 30 minutes I'll lose 10% battery on 3G.

So as a result from 3G only I'm recently getting 5.5-6 hours of binaries usage until my battery runs out. I was getting more in the range of 7'ish hours of binaries usage.

So what can I do to trouble shoot why I'm not getting the same battery life?

Marc

12. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Yesterday I was only on 3G to test. When I charged my iPhone I was at 5 hrs usage with 14% battery left.

Today I turned 3G off and turned wifi on. Significantly different for the better.

It's possible that 3G is slow in my area but not slow enough for me to make a difference.

Marc