battery draining increased in standby iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by carlos28355, Sep 28, 2014.

1. carlos28355 macrumors newbie

Just over a month ago i started noticing that my phone was draining more than usual in standby about 10% in an 8 hour period. Not as bad as some of the horror stories you read about but more than it should be. Usually i get 0 to 1% battery drain during standby while i sleep. So I started experimenting. Ive tried turning off wifi one night then the next turn off location services. and turned off background usage and then tried turning all notifications off then tried it in airplane mode and another night tried just turning off cell services and none of these really had an affect on the battery drain it was all about 10% in the 8 hour period or so.

So i tried resetting everything on the phone and restoring it back through icloud and didnt work so then the next night i tried wiping everything without restoring and it didnt work. Then ios8 came out and i thought maybe would help tried updating to that and nothing. Then started the wipe off again without restoring and same thing. then tried doing all these steps from itunes rather than restoring from cloud. and didnt make a difference. So i got a new battery from ifixit and to very much my surprise it didnt make a difference at all...

Am I missing something??? Thanks!

iphone 5 with ios8.02

2. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

It could be a battery issue. I would recommend jailbreaking and checking it out with batterylife from modmyi. That can show the mAh drain on your battery. Sometimes, doing a restore solves things.

3. carlos28355 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it was a battery issue also so I replaced the battery and it's doing the same thing. I haven't jailbroken iPhone since first gen is it easy to do so and easy to unjail break it? But that being said there's a brand new battery in here now and same issue...

4. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

To clarify, are you saying that it drains from 100 to 10% in 8 hrs or that it goes down by 10% in 8 hrs in standby?

6. carlos28355 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's a DFU restore? It drops aprox 10% I 8 hours just in standby. Not a huge amount but a big deal to me when it didn't used to drop anything during standby. And weird how turning things off doesn't seem to effect if...

7. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

10% in 8 hrs is actually pretty normal with some software. A lot of things activate while in standby if set up that way (notifications and location). One of the biggest culprits is Facebook. The best way to troubleshoot this is to not use your phone for 24 hrs or more while unplugged, then look at the energy usage found in settings -> general -> usage. This will tell you what is burning the most while in standby. Look at your notification items and disable what you don't need notified on. Go into location services and disable as well.

DFU restore can be found by checking out iclarified or by using tinyumbrella. It's a very deep restore that resets as much as it can. You shouldn't need to do that.

8. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

DFU mode is a state that allows you to put your iPhone to interface with iTunes, but does not load iOS operating system or boot loader. That’s the main difference between DFU mode and recovery mode.
    Plug your device into your computer
    Turn off the device by holding the Sleep/Wake or Power button and swiping it off
    Hold the power button for 3 seconds
    Begin holding the Home button without releasing the Sleep/Power button for 10 seconds
    Release the power button and continue holding the home button until you get a popup from iTunes that your device is recognized as being in recovery mode.
    That’s it, you’re in DFU mode. If you get stuck in DFU mode and need to get out, just hold the power button and home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.
    You can also check it out on YouTube.
    It is known to help battery drain.
    Then again it's up to you.

----------

Of course, you should first try everything Trebuin suggests before you even think of DFU restore.

9. carlos28355 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill look in to DFU thanks. At this point ill try anything...

I recognize that location services & notifications will drain the battery. I typically dont have much of that stuff turned on and certainly nothing new that I havent in the past and my drainege went from 0-1% up to 10%. But even turning location services off, turning notification services off and putting phone in airplane mode it is still draining. I dont even have a FB account. It might be hard to not use phone for 24 hours but I understand what your saying. most of my usage is down low home & lock screen is usually higher or the particular thing im doing at the time is higher like if im searching safari. there hasnt been anything thats been abnormally high for something that im not using. I dont know why home & lock screen would be in the 30% at some points

thanks again for all your feedback

10. carlos28355 thread starter macrumors newbie

took phone to Apple store since I had battery swapped by someone who wasnt them they wouldnt be able to do anything to the phone even outside of warranty. They told me if it was the logic board which sounds likely because everything else was done that it would cost 269$ to replace that if I hadnt changed the battery. Just wanted to provide an update. Thanks