Battery Draining Too Fast on MacBook Air 2013?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jadAce, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Hello everyone,

So I have been using my MacBook Air for the past few days (switched from PC, so not too familiar with OS X). I noticed that the percentage of battery decreases by 1-2 % every 10 minutes or so, even if I am doing light tasks such as Word Processing and 1-3 open Safari tabs.

Does anyone know if this is a pretty normal rate for battery draining?

Could it be that I have too much stuff running in the background? If so, does someone know how I could check what is running and close it from one window?

Thanks!

2. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Did you even do that math on that?

1.5% every 10 minutes so that is 9% (1.5% *6) every hour. 100%/9% =11 hours right on par with other macbook air...

3. jadAce thread starter macrumors regular

jadAce

Thanks for your help. Yes, I think it would be normal now (although I do have the 13 inch, which should give around 12 hours, right?).
    I also think it's because I switched over from Windows (used it for 10+ years) - not used to seeing that percentage indicator there, so maybe I am just getting nervous seeing it go down.
    Thanks again!

----------

Yes, I should have done the math on that one. :)

4. hypervish89 macrumors regular

It's UP TO 12 hours.

Doesn't mean you are going to get 12 hours every single time.

If you're coming from a windows laptop, then you should be happy to get 2 hrs of battery life. lol

5. jadAce thread starter macrumors regular

jadAce

Yeah, I think I was getting a little to optimistic seeing posts on here about people getting even 13 hour battery life. :)
    My windows laptop was around 1 1/2 hours (and very heavy), so definitely satisfied.

Being a new OSX and MBA user, just wanted to make sure all was going well.

6. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

A thing to note is you will get the same battery life in windows 8 on your macbook air. I get around 11.5 hours.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Just a note on MBA battery-life:
    I'd been letting my new MBA sleep at night without connection the power adapter and losing 2 to 3% which I thought was very good. Last night I decided to charge the MBA to 100% and then I disabled "Power-Nap". When I awoke this morning I was surprised to find that the power percentage indicator read 100% with a remaining time of 15:31...this is after 10 hours in standby/sleep-mode. Quite incredible really.

8. metanoiac macrumors member

Like any laptop computer, the display takes a lot of power. So you will notice a difference when you are running at full or, let's say, half brightness. The 12h is calculated for 75% brightness. Unless you are sitting outside, you can often go much lower (I am comfortably at 50% right now) to boost battery.

If you are travelling, you can also switch off the WiFi to get more power. I was on the way to the airport recently, very early in the morning, and with the lowest brightness level and no WiFi or BT the MacBook said it has 20:00 hours of battery life left. Now that's obviously a rather theoretical value, but it looked good anyways :D

9. pestrov macrumors newbie

Lucky you, my 2013 MBA 11 dies just after 4 and a half hours of internet browsing and that really makes me sick.