battery draining?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CBillups1, Dec 6, 2008.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i have the alu macbook. After a full charge it says my battery will last 2:30 hours. What do i do to make it last longer?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

that reading really depends on what you are doing. if you are browsing the web, check back at it after awhile and it should say 4+ hours. if you are watching videos (flash) or movie on iTunes, it will say 2-3 hours. That really depends on what you are doing, and it changes accordingly.

3. pscraig macrumors member

Calibrate the battery. Search here for an Apple official reference, but this is what to do in a nutshell:

1. Run computer on battery until it sleeps
    2. Allow computer to sit 8-10 hours until the sleep light stops blinking (it enters safesleep)
    3. Connect to charger, charge battery completely

4. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

all i do is browse the web, nothing else really but ok i will try to calibrate it tomorrow.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wrong calibration instructions.

Charge the battery until the light on the charger is green.
    Use the computer, try to do something heavy for awhile, to eat up the battery.
    Once it runs out of battery and switches itself to sleep mode, let it sit there in sleep mode for 5-10 hours.
    Shut it off, take out battery, etc.
    Put battery back in, recharge to full capacity.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

turn off down the screen brightness to the acceptable minium setting, turn off Bluetooth and Airport when not using, quit the applications you are not using, set to "Better Energy Savings", remove CDs when not using, dont leave music or videos playing when not listening/viewing, dont mouse around a lot… pretty much the less you use your computer the more battery life you will get.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

good advice except OP has Alu MB and "Better Energy Savings " option is gone.
    However, I agree with the other suggestions.
    ALSO, under System Preferences>Security>Disable remote control infrared receiver.
    AND make sure you turn off the keyboard lighting, as I have noticed that it too tends to affect the battery life.

IF after doing all of this, your battery still doesn't give you over 4 hours for medium usage, I would contact Apple Care and get a replacement battery. But that doesn't seem to be the case from your initial post.

BATTERY CALIBRATION straight from Apple http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

8. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I'm not so sure about taking the battery out and put it back on but in the Battery Calibration from apple >http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

It stated that let the computer sleep or shut it down for five hours or more and then connect the power adapters until it's fully charge. It could be your way to do it but just curious. That's all

9. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

If you are only websurfing and you get 2:30 hours battery I would take it back, it can't be more than a few weeks old :rolleyes: