Battery Drains fast...normal???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ghanem, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ghanem macrumors newbie

Hello
    I've replaced the battery for my mid2012 13 inch i7 macbook pro a week ago but surprisingly it drains fast (1% every 2 to 3 min and sometimes every 1 min) and it takes too much time to charge using my mac on half the screen brightness and using only safari and it made 11 cycles so far, is this all normal??

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I would suspect a poor quality battery. Where did you get it? Is it a Apple OEM battery?

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you bought a cheap knockoff battery it will be rubbish and possibly dangerous.

Anything under $ 90 is likely to be a knock off good batteries aren't cheap and that's the end of it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like a defective battery, I'd get your money back if you can. Laptop batteries are the kind of thing that I don't cheap out on. Of course now that I have a 2012 model, I have to send it into apple to get it replaced.

5. Ghanem thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it from " itouch" store in Egypt ,which is supposedly an authorised apple reseller....
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2016 ---
    I bought it for $ 95 = 750 egyptian pounds....but there were more expensive stores than this one actually

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Ouch, that's pretty expensive for a rubbish battery take the machine into where you bought it show the battery dropping by the minute and insist they replace it.

7. Ghanem thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll definitely do that luckily i have a 3 months warranty, but is it possible that the battery is fine but my macbook has another issue which causes the battery to drain fast??

8. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

If it's a replacement battery the SMC may have a wrong idea of its capacity and show skewed stats. I'd do an SMC reset first and, if that doesn't change things, let the battery drain all the way (MBP forces hibernation plus a couple of hours longer), then fully recharge it.

Also, if you're running a contemporary OS X version, Activity Center might reveal any power hungry culprit.

9. Ghanem thread starter macrumors newbie

I did SMC reset and it dropped form 81% to 73% in exactly 20 min using only safari and half my screen brightness,i still don't think this is normal,is it?? i also noticed that before the reset the brightness and volume keys used to take couple seconds before i see the icon and change bar on my display now its normal

10. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

By simplistic linear extrapolation that would mean a total battery life of 4h 10min, not what you'd expect from a new battery.

What does the Activity Monitor say (Energy tab), are there any power parasites running in the background perhaps?

I'd do a battery calibration (fully drain, then fully charge) anyway, just in case, before returning the battery.