Battery Drains Fast on 3G running 3.0 - May Know Why...Any fixes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nooners, Jul 23, 2009.

1. nooners macrumors newbie

I notice when I make calls, "Mail" launches automatically.

Like when I have my phone on mute, I would make a call, and then the phone would make a quick vibration.

Afterward, I would use SBSettings to check Processes and notice Mail is there when I haven't even launched it.

Anybody else? This kills my battery!

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Mine drained too fast too. I did all the fixes talked about here, recalibrating the battery, resetting the phone completely, restoring it as new, etc and nothing helped. Really, when you think about it when you get a new 3GS you shouldn't have to restore it and set it back up as a new phone because it IS a new phone with a blank slate. I finally got tired of all the b.s. and exchanged mine with Apple. I let it charge all day before using it, which is something I had not done with the previous phone. Anyway, it's like night and day. I'm now getting the kind of battery life I expected from the 3GS.

3. wazza12345 macrumors regular

What stats were you getting on the old phone and what are you getting now?

4. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

How long have you been charging it? I usually keep mine plugged in about 3-4 hours a night.

5. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I'm not sure because my 3GS is not jailbroken, but isn't Mail a process that always runs on the iPhone? It launches the process after booting so the phone can auto-check your emails.

Amirite??

6. wazza12345 macrumors regular

urrite

7. K19 macrumors newbie

I made the same thread yesterday in the troubleshooting forum and it seems that many people are experiencing this. Probably just something in the 3.0 firmware. I did restore my phone as new and did a hard reset and the battery life is better than before, though not like how it was with my 2.2.

And is mail supposed to be open for processing ALWAYS after a call? Because mine is the same way as well. Even if it is supposed to run in the background, the point is that I killed the process using SBSettings, but it still comes back. And why would a phone call trigger the mail app in the first place? :confused:

I should also mention that sometimes, the ipod springs itself to life in the processes for no reason as well (though that's probably irrelevant to batteries as it's not constantly sending out data requests like the mail app does). These are all symptoms that were pretty much nonexistent with the old 2.2, so it's got to be something with the 3.0 firmware itself.

8. nooners thread starter macrumors newbie

It is not supposed to open automatically, no.

It never did before, only now on 3.0

9. jman240 macrumors 6502a

correct. I noticed this since i set mine to only check for new mail manually and someone it was checking without me launching it. also does this if any app access the mail window (doesnt have to sent, just create new message like share link or photo) and even if you hit cancel it is still checking for new mail...

10. K19 macrumors newbie

Well, I think my battery problems have now been solved. As I have stated before I set up my iphone as new phone before jailbreaking it, then ran the battery down to about 5% before charging it fully. Then on the second day, the drain was still somewhat evident (though better than before), and I let it drain down to about 10% this time before fully charging it.

Now, on my third day, my battery life has somehow become MUCH better (push/3G/location services etc all off). I'm on my 3rd hour of standby right now with about half an hr of ipod use, and the battery indicator is still at 100%, whereas few days ago it would have drained about 5% or so of it already. So try setting the phone up as new, then recalibrate the battery by draining it to near empty and then charging it to full. After a couple days it may become better for you.