Battery drains fast while sleeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlee27, Jun 28, 2009.

1. dlee27 macrumors newbie

I use first-gen unibody 15 inch Macbook Pro. I rarely shutdown and leave it sleep. However, sleeping somehow drains battery quite much. For example, after one day of sleep, my battery goes from 100% to about 60%. My previous Santa Rosa macbook pro never did this. My current setting is sleep and hibernate. I checked it in SmartSleep.
    I don't think it's normal but I want to hear from you. Also, how should I approach Apple if I want to fix it? It's not something that can be reproduced during genius bar visit.
    Thanks.

2. dlee27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to record battery levels during sleep every 4 hours. I'm sure it will come handy.
    By the way, no one has this problem?

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Unfortunately, it's normal for the unibody machines, including the newest ones. I've been through several for various other reasons and they were all like this where the battery was concerned.

4. dlee27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm very surprised that this is norm for the unibody and people have not complained. I have a habit of just sleeping and this is getting very inconvenient. I'm also worried about life of the battery.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think the battery drains 1-2 percent every hour which is normal in sleep mode.

6. kloan macrumors regular

I've owned 9 Apple notebooks before my 13" MBP, these seem to drain faster in sleep than anything I've had before.

Maybe putting it in deep sleep is a better option if you plan on leaving it sleeping for extended periods. That should help preserve the battery longer.

7. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Folks have complained. You can improve the situation by changing the machine's sleep mode. This can be done from the command line but is easier with the following application (link below). Chances are you'll be interested in the "hibernate only" mode.

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

8. dlee27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have SmartSleep. I just don't like to put it in deep sleep because it takes a while to wake up. It hasn't been a problem even in my old ibook but I guess I'll just put it in deep sleep at night.