Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
Im having a serious issue on with my 4s. I have a Verizon 4s and I'm currently in a hotel for work. The signal in here is very faint and often no 3G. I'm using wifi for data but something is causing a serious battery drain. My phone is dropping a percent per min and gets warm. I have tried reboots, killing apps, resetting the network and nothing helps. This issue started today and I came here last night but did not notice anything yesterday.

I'm not sure what to do at this point and maybe it needs to be swapped out.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Try going to settings/location services and scroll down to you see system services. turn off cell network search and see if that helps at all.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
I'm going to turn location services off. See if that helps.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
you might not need to disable all location services... but you may have an app somewhere that's using location services constantly even though you don't need it to be doing so. this happened with me with 'reminders' after the geoevent had come and gone, it was still using it. but i didn't want to disable all location services because so many apps use it (and very well at that).

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
you might not need to disable all location services... but you may have an app somewhere that's using location services constantly even though you don't need it to be doing so. this happened with me with 'reminders' after the geoevent had come and gone, it was still using it. but i didn't want to disable all location services because so many apps use it (and very well at that).

The icon for locations isnt going on so I don't know if it's an app doing it. I'm going to try and leave it off while I'm here and see if this issue is fixed once I get home. If not, might be time for a swap. So far it seems to have helped but lets see how it holds up. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper as I'm away from home and need my phone

----------

Also my iPad has been just fine with all the location services on and it's on the same wifi network as the iPhone. It's definitely a low network signal or a hardware signal. Maybe a faulty gps chip?

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Try going to settings/location services and scroll down to you see system services. turn off cell network search and see if that helps at all.

Did you try this? From my understanding if you are in a weak signal area this setting will continuously search for a stronger signal, or a better network. Also only way to turn 3g off possibly? But who knows many people with poor battery life it seems.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
Did you try this? From my understanding if you are in a weak signal area this setting will continuously search for a stronger signal, or a better network. Also only way to turn 3g off possibly? But who knows many people with poor battery life it seems.

I'm trying this to see if it helps. Unfortunately, you can't turn 3G off anymore.

taylor200588

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Arbroath, Scotland
Last night I killed my iPhones battery, drained it till it shut off! then put it on charge for a solid 12 hours!! Had it on all morning and so far ... its still 100% ;)

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
Last night I killed my iPhones battery, drained it till it shut off! then put it on charge for a solid 12 hours!! Had it on all morning and so far ... its still 100% ;)

Was your phone draining battery like my phone? In a span of 10 mins, I would drop 10% or more. So far with the network search off it's been fine so far.

maqsur

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
The battery drain in circumstance of weak cell signal is consistent for me across different phones (iphone, android, dumbphone). As has been said, the phone keeps searching for signal, which will drain the battery quick.

At home where I get a normal 4 bars, so far the 4s has been lasting over 2 days without a charge.

Right now, according the usage info, I have 3 hrs 51 mins of usage, and 1 day 16 hours of standby. I'm still at 50% battery.

In fact, I also turn cell data off at home because I have wifi, and the wifi uses less battery than data connection. So there's another thing you can do to save battery life.

Last edited:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
I turned data off and getting 3 bars for voice. The drain is still on, it's down to 81% with 47 min usage and 2 1/2 hours standby. I'm exchanging it once I get home.

maqsur

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
I turned data off and getting 3 bars for voice. The drain is still on, it's down to 81% with 47 min usage and 2 1/2 hours standby. I'm exchanging it once I get home.

Yeah, that sounds like bad battery. Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.