Battery dying at odd percentages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjmff5, Apr 15, 2014.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Hi I recently purchased an iPhone 5 in great condition off eBay. Since I bought it it will die at random percentages. Sometimes it'll be 20, sometimes 5, 7, or 15. I have never gone below 5 so far. I did do a reset via iTunes and reinstalled everything and that didn't do anything. Any ideas what's going on? I asked Dr. Google and the two options I saw were either one I have a faulty battery or it's because of iOS 7.1. I get about 9-12 hrs of battery life a day(spend a good portion of the day without signal so it's searching) even when dying at 15 percent. When it dies I get a 'plug in with red battery sign'.

What's going on?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

My mom's iphone 3gs had similar issue. It used to die at about 20 or sometimes 30%.

So I wiped it clean via iTunes and installed only bare minimum apps she needed. It's working fine now.

So what I presume is some rouge app is working on ur iphone.

I couldn't pin point the rogue app on her phone as it was my old phone with over 200 apps..now she has about 40 apps only.

4. Frizers macrumors regular

This has been happening occasionally (like 4 times) with my 4S since 7.1. Could be the battery but I've certainly never noticed it before 7.1

5. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I've been having this issue since my 4s got soaked in a Florida downpour last spring.:(

It's a cr**shoot once the indicator gets below 30%. :mad:

I'm just hoping I can hold out for the iP6 this fall. :cool:

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

It's most likely the battery, I know my 5 used to do similar things right before it was stolen (October), and I was just about to bring it into Apple and have them look at it but thieves don't wait. As soon as I get it back (it was recovered) I am heading straight to Apple to plead my case as my warranty is no longer valid because it expired in January and I am just now getting it back.

7. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue with my 1-1/2 year old iPhone 5. Took it to Apple and they ran a battery diagnostic and told me the battery was out of spec. Since I have AppleCare+ they replaced it for free.

There is a big thread about this in Apple discussions. Most say replacing the battery fixes the issue. They also recommend buying a battery replacement kit from Amazon.com if you are out of warranty since it costs less than $10 and is supposedly easy to install.

8. shawndc1 macrumors regular

i had the same problem with my 5, itll cut off at 27%,15%,20% , all i did was have tmobile switch it for a new 1 since i pay insurance

9. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Happened to my wife's phone. Apple ran a diagnostic and it turned out that the phone had a battery needed replacing as it was unhealthy.