Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have had my 12 since last year and it’s already at 95% life left. Is this normal? It seems the battery life is not as good as it was on the XR and 8 (previous two models). My watch which is 2 years old is at 95% life left. Perhaps the 5G is wearing down the battery faster.

Reactions: Kris28

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
There are numerous threads about problematic/surprising battery health with the 12 series already. A quick “battery health” search should do the trick.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I've had my 12 Pro Max since launch day and it is currently at 97%; I use 5G and I'm hardly ever on WiFi, since I have good coverage and Unlimited data, so I don't really need to use WiFi unless an update or an iCloud backup force me to use Wifi. It's more so how much heat is being generated to the battery that causes degradation . For what it's worth, I never ever wireless charge my phone, not the regular wireless or the MagSafe. I prefer cord and it's worked well for me

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
12 pro max first week of release, now at 98% capacity , last 6 months with magsafe at night, daily carplay use via usb.
11 bought on 01/2019 still at 100% capacity, but it is seeing less use than this one. 11pro bought at release had to replace the battery last month at 90%. it was used a lot, wife phone.

Reactions: velo

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
I have a 12 Pro Max since launch. 100% battery health. Only use Apple 5w charger and cable with Optimised Battery Charging turned on. There are ways of maintaining battery health but is it worth to you and your usage patterns.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
There are ways of maintaining battery health but is it worth to you and your usage patterns.
What’s interesting is that neither charging patterns, nor the type of chargers, seem to matter. It seems to be completely random from what I’ve read (pretty much like the screen issues). I use the 20W Apple charger (wired) myself, and my battery is also at 100%. The same is the case for many people using MagSafe. Using a 5W charger these days is just self inflicted ‘tech-torture’, imo. Besides, it doesn’t have any proven positive effects on the battery’s longevity.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
12 PM since launch and it's already at 89%...it's definitely wearing way faster than previous generations.

Reactions: Kris28

Kris28

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2015
London UK
I have had my 12 since last year and it’s already at 95% life left. Is this normal? It seems the battery life is not as good as it was on the XR and 8 (previous two models). My watch which is 2 years old is at 95% life left. Perhaps the 5G is wearing down the battery faster.
iPhone 12 max- my battery is even more bad - 94% -never happened to any my iPhone before!! My old iPhone 11 Pro nearly 2 years old I give to my wife- battery 98%!!!!

Kris28

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2015
London UK
What’s interesting is that neither charging patterns, nor the type of chargers, seem to matter. It seems to be completely random from what I’ve read (pretty much like the screen issues). I use the 20W Apple charger (wired) myself, and my battery is also at 100%. The same is the case for many people using MagSafe. Using a 5W charger these days is just self inflicted ‘tech-torture’, imo. Besides, it doesn’t have any proven positive effects on the battery’s longevity.
my old iPhone 11Pro I give to my wife -nearly 2 years old on wireless charger only battery -98%, my iPhone 12 Pro max on the same brand wireless charger- battery 94%,I'm mostly on Wi-Fi , so I can't blame 5G modem- so I think culprit for faster wearing battery is somewhere else - maybe poor battery quality

Kris28

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2015
London UK
Yes its got to be the 5g.
my iPhone 12 Pro max is mostly on Wi-Fi, on 5G no more then 1-2 hours daily and battery health- 94%, I never seen such low health battery in any of my iPhone - usually I'm upgrading every year and as I didn't change my charging style- wireless only and I'm using my iPhone the same way as always- I think it's just poor battery quality

Kris28

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2015
London UK
12 pro max first week of release, now at 98% capacity , last 6 months with magsafe at night, daily carplay use via usb.
11 bought on 01/2019 still at 100% capacity, but it is seeing less use than this one. 11pro bought at release had to replace the battery last month at 90%. it was used a lot, wife phone.
my situation is absolutely reverse- as I'm upgrading my every year on realise day - my old iPhone 11Pro I give to my wife -battery is still 98% but my new iPhone 12 Pro max- 94% only and as we have the same brand wireless charger Mophie and the same generally way we charge our phones + pattern how I'm using is the same - I'm blaming rather poor quality battery- not 5G modem because mostly iPhone is on Wi-Fi . on 5G no more than 1-2 hours daily

Reactions: cutienoua

mtcislak

macrumors regular
May 30, 2019
My 12 pro is at 94% I have never had a phone this low. My 11 pro max was traded in with 100% after a whole year. Somethings up

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
I agree somewhat but I’m just going off how I used to be with past phone charging which was I didn’t give a stuff lol. Any old cable/charger, battery running real low, overnight charging, using it while it’s charging etc. Noticed my XS Max battery health at 85% less than 18 months old.

12 Pro Max battery lasts all day so using my 5-12W or the iPad Pro Usb-C chargers doesn’t make a difference.

Reactions: cutienoua

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Launch day iPhone 12 here and it is on 99% battery health. I use less than 50% of the battery each day though in use. I’ve also only used in on 5G twice ever as I don’t live where it is available.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006

Batt management works well for my usage pattern, and with the shortcuts/automation app + $10 smartplug, there’s zero extra effort. This is from a ~23 month old XR with 96% health:

51350975959_410f7e9742_o.jpg

Not random either… I ran my previous 3 iOS devices an avg of 6yrs as primary.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
My 12 Pro is now at 90% & I'm sure it was 100% when I last checked it a few weeks ago. My 11 Pro Max only got to 97% after a year of similar usage.

We're on vacation & phone has got *very* hot on wireless CarPlay / wireless charging in a Hyundai Tucson rental car using Google Maps - could it degrade that badly in just 5-days?

I'm generally careful with my phones & only charge it overnight daily / every other day - it's been generally lower usage at home this year & has never seen 5G.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have a launch day 12 Pro Max still on the iOS version it was released on 14.1. I have the same usage pattern as my 18 month old XS Max, use a 5W charger, charge overnight, and never let my device hit below 20%, and my battery capacity is at 94%. For the 12 series, I don’t think it matter what iOS version you are on or how you charge your device, these batteries are degrading faster than any other iPhone I’ve ever had. The only thing giving me some reassurance, is that I have AppleCare+, and will have the battery replaced before next year’s iPhone release.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have a launch day 12 Pro Max still on the iOS version it was released on 14.1. I have the same usage pattern as my 18 month old XS Max, use a 5W charger, charge overnight, and never let my device hit below 20%, and my battery capacity is at 94%. For the 12 series, I don’t think it matter what iOS version you are on or how you charge your device, these batteries are degrading faster than any other iPhone I’ve ever had. The only thing giving me some reassurance, is that I have AppleCare+, and will have the battery replaced before next year’s iPhone release.
Must be the 5G modem.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My launch day 12 Pro is at 89%. I always have to charge during the day to make it through the day. I would have gladly paid more for a better battery. My 3 year old X made it through a full day without needing a charge. Looks like I’ll be getting a new battery in the fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.