Battery error, energy saving preferences notworking

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mvdboss1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. mvdboss1 macrumors newbie

Since two days my battery isn't anymore what it used to be.
    When the battery is fully charged, it empties in 20minutes. When I select to view how much time it has left, it is still accurate, but when i select to view the percentage, it is not accurate. It shows that for example there is 68% left, but when i view the time left, it says two minutes.

So when I want to research the problem and open the 'energy saving preferences' menu, when you click the battery icon, it says that the 'the application system preferences quit unexpectedly'.
    Despite of this I am able to open the menu through SystemPreferences

Now, iStat Pro says that my battery's health is only 4%, and that it had 712 cycles and that it's 100% charged.

Anyone has an idea on this? I've done a software update, but none has changed. it just started two days ago.

cheers

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

If your battery health is only four percent, it's probably dead. However, I suppose you could recailbrate the battery to see exactly what your readings are. Let your battery full charge, and leave it charged for two hours. then, unplug it and let the battery fully drain, until the computer turns itself off. Leave it off for five hours at least. then plug it back in and see what iStat pro says then

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. mvdboss1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the swift reply guys,
    i'm gonna try to fully drain the battery this afternoon.

the battery is some three and a half years old i reckon

5. mvdboss1 thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing at all.. maybe hacked?

leaving it sleeping for 5 hours didn't do a thing..

i'm having a suspicion since i read this article this morning. what do you guys think? i never had any trouble with my battery before, and then all of a sudden it was ruined...

A security researcher claims to have found a new security flaw in Apple laptops that could allow hackers to ruin laptop batteries, infect them with malware or potentially cause them to overheat and catch fire.​

continue reading on:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/apple-laptop-security-flaw_n_907488.html