Battery expanded and burst open-What caused this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markw10, Dec 31, 2013.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro. It still had the original battery in it which a few months ago started expanding. At first I thought it wasn't a big deal but later on it started getting much bigger until the actual casing of the battery popped open. Unfortunately it was installed so slightly pressed into my case where it seems the keyboard slightly raised up.

I went to OWC's website and purchased a new battery for this laptop. It's in there now and seems to be working fine. The keyboard seems to be okay also and my laptop is working perfectly normal.

My question is what caused it? Was it some type of defect or just an old battery? I actually have 3 images that were taken of this battery. The concern I have mostly is will it happen again? I don't want to damage my laptop. Is it possible fan related? I think I can hear the fan running but it doesn't seem to be very loud so I thought maybe one fan (if there's more than one) went out or maybe it's not running as fast as it should. Would this be a fan issue or something else that needs to be fixed? I have thought of making a Genius Bar appointment to have Apple check it out but of course if it's nothing wrong with it I'd rather avoid the appointment since it's a long drive to my nearest Genius Bar.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. leman macrumors 604

This is 'normal' - old battery often swell. AFAIK ist actually part of their design - they are supposed to swell rather then explode ;) Still, this is why you should replace them when they are few years old. Now, if swelling occurs in a new battery - thats a warranty case.

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Don't worry - it's "normal." Enjoy your new battery!

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That really scared me. What would happen if AppleCare/Warranty expired. Battery burst so who is at fault? Apple gave this bad battery! :apple: