Battery expanded on three years old MBP17.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1881, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 1881 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    Although, this is my first post I have been an avid reader of this forum for years now and wanted to start by letting everyone know how much I appreciate it! I have been a happy owner of a 17" MBP 2.33 C2D for three years now. I upgraded the memory to 4GB (even though it only recognizes 3.2) and the HDD to 320 7200 rpm WD. I felt that I could get another year out of the machine and upgrade when the quad cores are out. But, just a month after my applecare expired, I came home one day to an overly expanded battery (a very scary sight!) sitting on my desk as the MBP is setup on a griffin holder for better air flow and space management. I went to my local Apple store and was very pleased that they offered to send it to repairs for free even though applecare expired in December. Two days later I get call stating that the repairs won't be free but will cost $1250 +tax!!!!! The reason is a dent located next to the superdrive. The apple representative said that the quote will cover replacing the bottom and upper case as well as the superdrive. I told him that the dent was the result of a fall that happened four months ago during a TATL flight (courtesy of another passenger) and that the MBP has been working flawlessly after that, including the superdrive (read, write, etc). So they offered to reduce it to $650 +tax....
    I understand that the dent is the result of an accidental damage but all I wanted and I think I'm entitled to is a battery since it's NOT SUPPOSE TO BLOW UP ON YOU!!
    So here is my question: Do I pay the $650 + tax for a new battery bottom and upper case and superdrive and have apple fix it and returned with 90 days warranty? (I don't think that he computer is even worth that much!) Do I buy used parts and fix it myself? Or do I wait untill after 1/27 and get a new hopefully revised MBP?
    Sorry for the very long first post. Your advices are appreciated. Thank you.

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Can you just buy a new battery and replace it yourself?

3. 1881 thread starter macrumors newbie

I obviously can even if I feel that I shouldn't. But, I wanted to now if it's worth fixing it at that price for those components and keep it for one more year. Or fix it myself to sell it and get a new one. Or, just leave it as is and buy a new one now.
    Basically, will you pay $650 +tax for one more year of usage?
    Will you spend time and about $300 to fix it and sell it at whatever it is worth? (probably not too much...)
    Or will you just shell the $2500 for a new one after 1/27 and possibly an arrandale upgrade?
    Thank you.