Battery expansion on a 2007 MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by atarasiirei, Jun 15, 2010.

1. atarasiirei macrumors newbie

Hey, my dad's got a 2007 2.4 GHz core duo white MacBook, and I think he might have a bad battery, but we're not sure and I thought I'd ask around here. The entire lower portion of the top part of the case is running hot, and a light touch anywhere on that panel, from just below the fn key to the right arrow key on both sides of the trackpad, will cause the mouse to jump, things to be clicked, etc. On the bottom of the case, the battery compartment has swelled and bowed. It's jutting out on two sides and is also running hot. My dad tried to unscrew the compartment to take a look at it, and the screw broke off.

Is this a widespread problem with these models, or is this something fairly unique? Is it dangerous, or just annoying? Is my dad going to have to completely replace his MacBook, or can this be fixed with a new battery/case/something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. BurningJah macrumors regular

that's a first! My sister has the same one! and she doesn't got any problems like your dad has with her MB!
    does the problem excist when you take the battery out of his compartiment! if not the problem lays somewhere else!
    or buy a new battery

3. atarasiirei thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's part of the problem; he can't take the battery out. The screw that locks the battery compartment completely broke when he tried to open it.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

supposedly its problem that was resolved back in 06 after they had recalls. while it may not be "wide spread" now, some people are definitely still having this issue. Yes, it can be very dangerous (check out exploding batteries on youtube). Give apple support a ring and make sure you also mention that you believe the defective battery may have damaged your computer.

5. atarasiirei thread starter macrumors newbie

My dad took it to Apple today. It seems that it was indeed a bad battery. But after explaining that he has been buying Macs since the early 90s and this particular laptop had already had a bad hard drive, they replaced it for free, two years out of warranty.

Apple fan for life.

Thanks for the replies.

6. stu3ufc macrumors member

hello I am having this very issue! it's affecting the track pad too. If i push up its like i clicked the button. i keep catching it and it clicks stuff lol

Looks like i should replace the battery :(