Battery failure? No, just lazy.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by porcupine8, May 18, 2011.

1. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I see a lot of posts wondering if the iPad 2 really gets the advertised 10 hours of battery life, so I thought I'd post what happened to me this morning as reassurance.

I charged the iPad overnight, so it was at 100% when I got up. After a leisurely breakfast and some time browsing and playing, I realized my battery was down to 66%! Oh no, what could be wrong with it? I checked my brightness and it was down where I normally keep it (25-30%).

Then I realized the real problem - I'd been goofing off on it for four hours already! Hm, time to go do something productive with my day.

(Note that 34%/4 hours is event better than 100%/10 hrs!)

2. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i have a friend who always complained about the iphone 4 battery life. once, on a road trip, she complained it was already down to 55% at 1pm.

she'd been playing on it non stop since 8am.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup, time does seem to fly faster when you are playing with an iPad! :D

4. Kupp macrumors regular

So the problem isn't battery performance so much as memory availability. That is user memory, time flies when you are having fun.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I had a whole day off to myself yesterday--the wife was gone, the kids were gone, and I had taken the day off work. At about 8:00 am, I started a pot of coffee, grabbed my iPad, and kicked back on the couch. I decided to catch up on some Dr. Who, watched this week's Raising Hope on Hulu, and then downloaded and watched this week's Deadliest Catch. After all that, I was catching up on news and making all my Words with Friends moves.

Before I knew it, it was 1 in the afternoon. I started on a full charge and after 5 hours of use, I still had around 60% of battery. After lunch I used it to stream a video podcast for about 45 minutes, and was still above 50%.

Yesterday was the first day I've had time to get some "heavy usage" out of my iPad, and I was blown away by the battery life. I'm still on the same charge today, and I'm sure I won't have to charge it tonight either.

6. jweaver macrumors member

I have problem.. Every time I think that the batteries seem to be a bit low, I realise that I have used it for a lot longer than I thought

Are there any apps to measure useage? SOmething you can reset and then get some stats as you go about the time used, and things that you have done?

I had an app like this on the Palm, but I havn't seen anything on the iPad yet.

Jon

7. jamied95 macrumors 6502

The battery usage indicator is deceptive, one thinks that 50% is not a lot, but it actually is if you're already at 4pm.

Also, on the iPad, I think the 20% warning is silly, because the battery still has 2 hours left. 10% and 5% would be far more sensible - or a time, saying "roughly 30 minutes of battery remaining."

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

If you go into settings I think it has a time since last charge meter. On the iPhone it's under General-->Usage and it will give you Usage and Standby time since last full charge.

Not sure if it's the exact same on the iPad--don't have it in front of me right now.

9. porcupine8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Heh, I've actually never seen a 20% warning, I'm not sure I've ever gotten it down that low!

I would love an apo that not only tracks usage, but also works like Leechblock on Firefox to block my access to certain apps after so long or at certain times of day....

10. jweaver macrumors member

I don't think it is.. Looking at my iPad now.. Under "General" I don't have a usage option... When you wrote this I was surprised as I have never seen anything like this in the settings and unless I am missing something obvious, it doesn't seem to be an iPad feature.

Strange, they would have this on the iPhone but not the iPad!!

Jon

edit: It seems that this is confirmed here

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...ipad-usage-statistics-how-can-i-see-them.html

11. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Umm. There is no 20% warning on the iPad, and the warning is at 5 and 10%.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I have found the battery life not as great as I thought it would be but still very good. Not sure how many hours i get as i'm never on it non stop. will try today and see how quick it goes down.