Battery for MacBook Pro Late 2008

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ciarals, Sep 11, 2015.

1. ciarals macrumors member

Hello! I'm in the process of changing for the 3rd time the battery on my MacBook Pro Late 2008, end of life reached in the last months. I've called Apple and they don't provide anymore the original battery, because my Mac is now "vintage". So, any hint for some companies that produce great batteries for old Macs?

I've found this one, what do you think? http://www.newertech.com/products/macbpro_batt_15_uni.php

Any other hint? Thank you very much!

2. thejoshhoward macrumors member

Just used that same battery a few months ago for a 2008 MBP. It's been great.

3. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your comment. Any other comments/suggestions?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well of course it depends where you are but ifixit sells batteries apple batteries for older macs.

5. jeyf macrumors 6502

keep in mind your iPhone5 likely has more processing power than a mid year 2008 mac book Pro so dont spend a lot money.

i have one too. Nothing to back up my theory but am experiencing a lot a problems with the computers mega safe charger connector. Just seems there is a lot of power flowing the connector trying to charge the battery. I understand the battery itself has some embedded hardware in it. Nice if this was totally compatible.

6. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

Which battery are you talking about? The one from iFixit or NuPower?

I know that my Mac is a bit old, but with 8GB of RAM and 1TB SSD it's still rocking ;) In my opinion, it's better to spend 500$ for a new SSD that 3000$ for a new Mac if the old one is still working perfectly ;)

7. jeyf macrumors 6502

likely neither, got it off craigsList. Met the seller at a crack house. The good it has only one cycle on it but it maybe there is a way to reset the counter.

SSD can be problematic with kernel panics on the Yosemite and or El Captian and older hardware.

8. kahuna2793 macrumors newbie

I have the same MacBook got me a battery off eBay $20 works ok don't know the name.

9. ciarals thread starter macrumors member

Not if you're using Disk Sensei, as I am doing ;)