Battery get confused on low temp'?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by MacSafe, Jan 9, 2016.

1. MacSafe macrumors regular

Hi
    Today I run with my year old iPhone 6.
    I started my run, using Nike + running app, with about 34% of battery.
    After 29 min approximately, the device shut down itself. I have tried to turn it on but it showed the "no power" logo.
    What may cause this issue?
    (It was about 13° (c) outside)
    Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Quite low or high temperatures can certainly have effects on batteries. That said, 13 C isn't really all that low.

3. ANDJOE macrumors member

ANDJOE

I've experienced this as well in the cold. It seems to be worse using beta builds. I am forced to walk around with the battery in the event it shuts down.

4. Vexxx macrumors member

Took a walk in -25 C this week. Everything ok after half an hour. Screen was a bit slow.

However, some have reported problems in this weather, with both new and old models so it seems to be hit or miss.

5. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Same here about the screen. Kind of looks like motion blur or ghosting. No battery problems though.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its not the temperature, but the battery/device itself. If you don't regularly restart your device, the battery meter gets confused. I've turned off my iPhone when the meter said it was 85% and turned it back on it and it was at 59%. Or the opposite has happened, I've turned it off at 70% and when I turned it back on the meter read 77%.

Always remember, the % meter is an 'estimate' of the current remaining battery. It is not near perfect. Ever noticed that your device stays at 100% longer than any other %? If you track the mAh of your device, you would notice that it doesn't drop from 100% until the battery is really at 95%. So it stays at 100% for much longer than it should.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm running with outside temperatures below 0°C without any issue , so it's not temperature related.
    A battery shutting itself off at 20-25% could be defective ....

A lot of people had a similar problem with iPhone 5, people was pointing at iOS as a bug, but after a few months Apple started a recall program for iPhone 5.

8. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

Taken from battery university.

Like humans, batteries function best at room temperature. Warming a dying battery in a mobile phone or flashlight in our jeans might provide additional runtime due to improved electrochemical reaction. This is likely also the reason why manufacturers prefer to specify batteries at a toasty 27°C (80°F). While operating a battery at elevated temperatures will improve performance momentarily, prolonged exposure will shorten life.

As all drivers in cold countries know, a warm battery cranks the car engine better than a cold one. Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and lowers the capacity. A battery that provides 100 percent capacity at 27°C (80°F) will typically deliver only 50 percent at –18°C (0°F). The momentary capacity decrease differs with battery chemistry.

The performance of all batteries drops drastically at low temperatures; however the elevated internal resistance will cause some warming effect. At –20°C (–4°F) most batteries stop functioning. Although NiCd can go down to –40°C (-40°F), the permissible discharge is only 0.2C (5-hour rate), Specialty Li-ion can operate to a temperature of –40°C, but only at a reduced discharge rate; charging at this temperature is out of question. With lead acid there is the danger of the electrolyte freezing, which can crack the enclosure. Lead acid freezes more easily with a low charge when the specific gravity of the electrolyte is more like water than when fully charged.