Battery going bad MBP(Late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeff42037, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

My battery is only getting about 2-2.5 hrs on a charge with the 9400M. I looked at my load cycles which is 200 and Current Capacity is 81%.I have AppleCare. Do you think I have a bad enough problem to get a new battery from Apple?

2. asdad123 macrumors regular

If im not mistaken, I dont think the extended Apple Care covers the battery.

"the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect. "

You're experiencing normal battery capacity loss.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple will generally not replace a battery unless it is below 80% health, unless it's defective. Calibrate your battery to make sure it's accurate.
    It does extend coverage for defective batteries, but not for normal depletion due to use or misuse.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. Jeff42037 thread starter macrumors regular

I heard that if under 300 cycles and the Battery is under 80% Capacity it is a defective Battery. I just calibrated it last night... Just horrible battery life.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is dependent on many factors. Read the Battery FAQ for details.

6. JamDonut macrumors member

i dont know if this helps at all, but my MB 2008 before i sold it last week was at 320 something cycles on about a 2-2.5 hour charge but my new MacBook 9400m is on 140 cycles still at 97% capacity so i would be concerned about my battery too, maybe consider a replacement or at least ask your local apple store about it, but to say it's defective might be a bit of a stretch, nearly 3 years old, pretty good time to consider replacing a battery and im also pretty confident apple care wont help at all

sorry if thats useless to you but thought it might be of some use...

7. genexrocket macrumors regular

I've had my battery replaced for free 2 years after my Applecare expired, it did help that my battery was swollen, though.

8. DrivenDaily macrumors newbie

OP...from my experience it depends on the discretion of the tech if your battery is getting poor life due to high cycle count. I would take it in and be nice. Might get lucky.

On that note I just had my late 2008 unibody battery replaced under applecare with 380 cycles and 82% health...reason being it started saying Service Battery and their MRI disc showed the battery as failed.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Not surprised. Before I got my Sandy Bridge 15", I had the 2008. By the time I got my new computer, battery capacity was at 60% and I had used it everyday on battery for the almost 3 years that I had it.