Battery going bye bye?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zFrenchy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. zFrenchy macrumors member

My battery on my ipod touch dies very very fast, like within 1 hour of browsing web. Is this because it has a lot of apps on it or because my ipod is old?

I bought the First Gen when it just came out and i was the first to have it at my school. Maybe this means its just getting old? :(

2. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

probably. check the brightness settings too.

you can always buy one of those battery replacement kits from amazon.com

3. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

brightness is always at lowest which is a pain.

Does jailbreaking your ipod touch lower battery life? I have been meaning to get rid of the jailbreak due to lack of use.

4. Stratification macrumors regular

If there's anything that's running in the background, or widgets that are on then it most certainly will affect battery life.

5. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

jailbreaking won't waste battery life.

It just adds on installer and/or cydia apps which are like something you'd get from the appstore

6. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Battery life lowers over time. Especially if you use your iPod a lot. You can always get it replaced, though.

7. qacjared macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as you. I remember getting mine and worrying if it was a Week 37 or 38 or a Macy Gray because of the black screen issue. Remember that? Luckily I got a good one and it's been working fine ever since. It's been stuck with half battery or less during the last 6 months. Here's an idea: Charger over a firewire cable. They can be found for like 3 bucks on amazon and since they supply a 12v charge instead of a 5v like usb it seems to charge the iPod much better. It's the way most 3rd party things charged iPods until recently. (The iPhone 3G dropped firewire charging)

Also, try RESTORING to firmware 3.0. It really seemed to help my battery life to do a periodic restore instead of update.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know whether this is still an issue in recent updates, but turning off Location Services used to be a big help.

9. tommyr macrumors newbie

I have a 2nd gen Touch. AFTER the 3.0 upgrade my battery dies with a FULL CHARGE after 7-8 hours. This is a 3.0 issue. No question about it. This problem did NOT exist before the upgrade.

MAJOR pain in the rump. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Tom

10. dynamo22 macrumors member

I think I read somewhere that the ipod touch's battery can go through 500 or so charges before the battery needs to be replaced. I could have misread that though so don't quote me.

11. srtoomey macrumors newbie

It seems as if Im getting like 10 minutes while on Safari. Its unbelievable! I guess next year I'll take a trip to the Apple Store.