Battery Grip Comparison?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcowdude20, Jan 21, 2012.

1. mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

I am comparing these two battery grips for my Canon T3. Which one is better? Why? Also, if anyone had/has any of them, how did you like them.

1. Bower (1)
    2. Meike LP-E10 (2)

Open to new ideas...
    Also, I am mainly looking for the vertical shooting, so how would the Bower connect to the DSLR?

Thanks, everyone!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the T3 really isn't made for battery grips. how about a T3i?

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

personally i hate battery grips. what do they offer that you will use? A shutter on the portrait comp? They offer no weather sealing and made of plastic... Sorry if I am blunt, but other than that, they are worthless to me (and I know of no one who actually bushwhacks on this forums...)

I shoot with a 1Ds and the old ass batteries work very well for me.....

4. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

A rebel isnt weather sealed anyway so I dont see why you'd go through the expense of weather sealing the battery grip.

I used to have the Opteka one, for my 500d, apparently it was made in the same factory in the same mold as the canon one, it worked fine no probs, came with 2 batteries too!

It was a bit fiddly to fit as I recall, but once on you didnt really need to take it off so wasnt really a big issue.

5. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

With relatively small DSLRs like the T3 or even the T3i a battery grip will give you a much nicer grip, since your whole hand actually holds on to the camera. Another advantage is the camera's balance if you've got a heavier lens on it. So I think it is a nice accessory to have.

I used a meike one on an T2i and really liked it, it is well worth the money.

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I'm not a fan of battery grips either. Reminds me of people who like to trick out their AR15 or whatever. I can see external power for flashes, but not for the camera. Just carry a spare battery.

7. WRP macrumors 6502a

Here are is my experience with 2 cheaper battery grips. YMMV.

I had an Opteka on my T2i. I wanted to like it but I didn't. The battery tray slid in very cheesy and a couple of screws came off somehow in the underside so it wouldn't seat sometimes. I would have to press it into the camera even though it was fully screwed in. Shame really because I really like my Opteka intervalometer.

Now on my 7D I have a Zeikos. It is much better quality in my opinion. Just solid and little things like having a tray built in that holds your battery door so you don't misplace it. The thing lives on my camera when shooting video and hasn't let me down.

----------

While I generally agree, video tripod plates are bigger than photo ballhead plates. When I am shooting video all day, I can change lenses, focus rings, cards, filters, everything without removing the camera but I need to take it out of the rig and screw off the plate just to change a battery. No thanks. When I am walking around taking pictures I generally don't use it though.