Battery Grip...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcowdude20, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

I am looking for a battery grip for the Canon Rebel T3 (EOS 1100D). I have found a couple that are under $30 and wanted to know what you thought of that. Canon does not sell an official grip, so I wanted to know if anyone has one that is third-party. Should I, or not? Thanks!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Just poppin a post in here couse I wanna know too, except for for the 60d!

I'd especially like to know what the differences are between OEM and third-party.

3. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I have a Meice (sp?) battery grip for my 7D. Its not the best build quality and I wouldnt keep it on the camera all the time as I use a Black Rapid strap which screws in at the bottom and when I use the strap with grip, the grip gives me the feeling that if it got a crack (which wouldnt be hard), the strap would be dangling on its own, camera on the floor.

I use it only for time lapse as it has a built in timer. I'd suggest buying a canon one but I have never held one to know. Buy one, try it, bring it back.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have a Zeikos grip on my XSi and it works just fine. A bit heavy, but has all the important controls for shooting portrait. Acording to this user photo on Amazon, it is for the T2 but fits the T3 as well. A lot less than the Canon products.

Check the first photo in this link

Dale

5. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Mainly build quality, some cheaper models lack buttons which is the main point of a battery grip for most.

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

do some of them add functions that the OEM versions do not?

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I've seen a 3rd party Eos 5D Mk II grip that adds a remote function, so yes.

10. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

I have a Meike too for my T3i, bought it for under $40 on Ebay which included two third party batteries.

Everything works great, the build is actually decent, and all the extra buttons on the grip work. Never seen a OEM, but this does the job, looks good, so what else could you ask for $40.

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

I had an Opteka on my T2i. I wanted to like it but I didn't. The battery tray slid in very cheesy and a couple of screws came off somehow in the underside so it wouldn't seat sometimes. I would have to press it into the camera even though it was fully screwed in. Shame really because I really like my Opteka intervalometer.

Now on my 7D I have a Zeikos. It is much better quality in my opinion. Just solid and little things like having a tray built in that holds your battery door so you don't misplace it. The thing lives on my camera and hasn't let me down.