Battery Health 100% to 42% - WTF?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jvhowube, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Jvhowube macrumors member

so yesterday, my battery health read 100% (using my istat pro and coconut battery). today, after recalibrating said battery, the health reads 42% :eek:

i'm kinda not happy. any ideas?

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

4. Jvhowube thread starter macrumors member

health does not correspond to current charge. it corresponds to "HEALTH".

5. Jvhowube thread starter macrumors member

I recalibrate every 1-2 months. i'm certain my battery care habits are better than most. that's just ridiculous though - to jump from 100 to 42.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Calibrating doesn't do anything good for the battery, it just makes your count more accurate. Battery care habits include limiting the number of cycles running through the battery, not always using it while plugged in, draining it through natural usage etc.

7. Jvhowube thread starter macrumors member

alright well i do all of these things.

last night, my battery lasted through a 2.5 hour movie (i watched it just running off the battery).

today, when it's fully charged, it says it has no more than 1 hour of battery life. what's the deal?!

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If thats the case then the battery may be defective. If you're still within your complimentary 1 year or if you have Applecare, just give Apple a call and they should replace it. Emphasize that it has lost capacity to an unsuitable level in an unreasonable period of time.

9. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Did you install that battery update a while back? And if so, had you calibrated since then? If not, that's probably the reason. A lot of peoples health went to 100% after that update but it wasn't real, after calibration the battery went back to reading its old health (or close to it). A jump that big is pretty strange though, I'd imagine if your battery was that low on health that it wouldn't jump to 100% after the update. Just a guess.

How old is your computer by the way?