Battery Health App to try....Post your results

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jerhen, May 26, 2016.

1. Jerhen macrumors regular

This is going to be just kind of a fun forum to compare battery life statistics between others and to see if this app is really accurate or not. I found this free app on the App Store a while ago and have been using it https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-life-check-internal/id1080930585?mt=8

According to the app, I am at 699 charge cycles and that seems reasonable because I am using an iPhone 5s that I have been using for almost 2 years. My 2 year contract is up at the end of June next month. So I think the app is accurate but I kind of want to see what other users have. Apple also states that after 500 charge cycles, 80 percent of your battery health will still be there. According to the app, I have 90 percent health and have about 200 charge cycles more than what they state. I just kind of want to compare other users cycles to overall battery health.

I also posted this in the iPhone thread section because I want to compare other iPhones to mine with health and charge cycles.

IMG_6320.jpg

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I think worrying about battery life is a waste of time and causes undue stress. I feel it is better to just use your device in a manner that works for you instead of letting battery life control your actions. Worrying about battery life all the time is going to cause you to change your habits in a way that will likely bring about stress or dissatisfaction with the device.

It's just a phone, Apple can make more :)

3. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

I am not really worried about it, I just kind of want to compare with others and see if others use battery health apps. I basically just wanted to compare with others.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Ok. Well, since I consider myself one of the "others", my stats are:
    I don't know, my phone works fine today so I'm happy :)

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've seen this app and it varies my capacity in about a 5% swing either way depending on the time of day I use it. Right now it says in at 234 cycles on my 6s plus (reasonable number in my mind) but my capacity is 78% and I'm recommended to get a new battery. Go figure.

6. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I have a 5s with coconut battery app on it. It is 1 1/2 years old and the app says it has 129 load cycles on it and that the battery health is still at 97.4%. I am a retired person who is a light to mild user, and I top off the battery frequently and the battery seldom gets below 75%. Don't know how accurate the battery app is, but those are the numbers.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I use Coconut Battery as well. Now, Apple will tell you these apps are worthless and are not accurate at all (compared to their diagnostics). Thats not entirely correct. These battery apps show you the current, real-time mAh capacity of your battery. That is why in 10 minutes you can get 30 different readings, ranging upwards of 10% +/-. Apple's diagnostic takes the daily average of your mAh capacity, which is why their number is extremely stable, and you will get the same readout for multiple days in a row.

If you take the time and average out all the numbers you see with regards to mAh capacity, you will find out exactly where your battery stands. Anything over 80% until you reach 500 cycles is "normal". If you take care of your battery, it can last hundreds of cycles past the 500 mark.

8. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

I have also found this app to be useful when my battery gets down to less than 5%. I can open it and see how much mAh is remaining and get a more accurate sense on when my 5s will completely die and how much it is going down. Since you use coconut battery, have you tried using this app before? I am wondering if the readings from coconut battery and this app are the same.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have used coconutBattery for awhile now - I just installed this app. The app says my battery is perfect. coconutBattery says my battery has 2777 mAh capacity of a designed 2725 mAh capacity. Charge cycles are identical (10). The app says only 2725/2725 and 10 charge cycles.

I've found even coconutBattery to vary by 5% depending on how/when I'm charging the phone. But of the other apps I've tried that tell me my battery life, coconutBattery is by far the most accurate.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Unlike other apps, Coconut battery will show if your battery is above capacity, such as you are see. 2777/2725.

11. cynics macrumors G4

image.png

When I first got the app it said 7% wear, now it's 5%.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Basically estimates based on estimates.

13. Azzurro macrumors regular

Man this is so inaccurate. It changes from time to time. I'll delete this app before it gives me much stress.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Have you not read the thread? Its not inaccurate. Thats just how batteries work. Their capacity changes 100+ times a day. Anytime its under stress, charging, different temperatures, it will change. Entirely normal.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I guess the thing I have trouble wrapping my head around is that my usage patterns are the same throughout the day and my battery drains the same in any given day. By this I mean to say that there aren't days where I suddenly notice 10% faster drain. Meanwhile, I've seen my battery capacity swing from 78 to 91 percent on this app.

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but shouldn't a day with 78% capacity see me draining much faster (barring a charge mid day, which almost never happens) versus the day I get 91?

Also, if these numbers can normally swing this huge amount, what good is the battery health page? I've seen it be in the green one day and in the red (with an alert that I should think about swapping my battery at some point soon). Seems to me these warnings are utterly useless if all else is true.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not necessarily. Just because you are checking it and its showing 78% doesn't mean thats the average for the day. Ive seen mine change dozens of times in one day with a range of over 10% for the entire day. Its the average that matters, not the highs or the lows.

Now, the moments when it is 78%, it will drain faster. But then it will jump to 96% and drain slowly again. Which ultimately averages out throughout the day.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Not really a scientific logging of my data, but I don't see drastic changes throughout the day without having charged first.

Your explanation is a feasible one, but I still don't understand what value the "good, average, bad" wear patterns in this particular app give anyone. If anything I'd think the app would want to tests averages as well, particularly when giving the hardware an overall ranking.

18. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Battery life seems very hit and miss. In my case the older devices with many more cycles have healthier batteries than the new ones...

Product - age - cycles - battery health

iPhone 5s - 30 months - 412 cycles: 95%
    iPad Air - 26 months - 200 cycles: 97%
    MacBook Pro - 19 months - 65 cycles: 97%
    iPad Mini 2 - 17 months - 91 cycles: 90%
    iPhone 6s Plus - 8 months - 146 cycles: 94%

I calibrate them monthly.

The iPad Air is the one I've beat the hell out of, mostly using it for playing Pinball Arcade until it croaks, meaning it always runs pretty hot, 36°C or so. It has responded to this relative abuse by keeping its battery in excellent condition.

The MBP had 106% of design capacity when I got it, so 97% isn't as great as it seems.

The iPad Mini 2 has only seen light use and fewer cycles than any of the iOS devices. It has thanked me by losing 10% and claiming the jumbo spot.

The iPhone 6s Plus is the biggest disappointment considering it's only 8 months old, then again it might be faulty. Somewhere in the middle of discharging it drops to 80% and slowly climbs its way back to 94% and gets there when there's around 30-40% left. The others don't jump madly like that during charge/discharge, they stay within a 2-3% range.

I also have an ancient iPhone 4 that's at 79% capacity after 5 years, of which it's spent the last 3 sitting cradled on a clock radio w/ 30-pin dock, displaying the weather. I think it held up pretty well.

19. AppleDavid macrumors regular

AppleDavid

My 6S had only 94 cycles and is now on 90% and a week ago it was 98% wtf whats wrong?

20. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Calibrating monthly is excessive and unnecessary.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you subject your device to extreme heat or constantly allow the battery to hit 0, it drastically reduces health. But know that it is very common to see a 10% health swing in a single day. It depends on the state of the battery at the second you check. In 5 minutes I've seen a range from 92%-104%.