Battery health check

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefoo, Oct 13, 2009.

1. thefoo macrumors member

My MBP 2.2Ghz was bought two years ago. One year ago it developed a fault in which is suddenly switched off when running on battery. The supplier gave me a new battery.

Today while I'm not seeing the power die suddenly it does run out of charge real quick. istatpro shows my health now less than 50%. Here's from the profiler:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-382b-755b
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0001
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0110
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2311
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2758
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 113
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -2067
    Voltage (mV): 11751

Is there any way of improving the situation? I did try a calibration but after leaving it in sleep mode for > 24 hours it was still sleeping when I resumed - it showed 14% remaining power then dropped to 8% after one minute before I plugged the power back in.

Is the health something I can improve or am I resigned to needing another new battery?

Thanks.

2. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Did you follow the calibration process? Drain completely - let it cool - charge completely - cool.
    When did it show 14%?

3. thefoo thread starter macrumors member

I let the computer drain all battery such that it got to 0% battery then went to sleep. That was about 0830, at 0730 the following day the sleep light was still "throbbing" so I opened the laptop and the battery readout said 14% before dropping to 8% a minute later. I had to use the machine so I plugged in the power.

Yesterday AM after posting I let it drain once more but last night when I went to use it, again 14% left open waking it up.

Looks like I'll need to drain it, then wake it up and repeatedly drain it until it won't wake up any more, then leave it a few hours. Very annoying, but still doesn't tell me if the battery itself is beyond further use.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple states that a battery should net your 80% health after 300 cycles. Which isn't your case. I have 100 cycles and my health is at 89%.

Ring apple up, you could probably get a new battery out of this.

5. thefoo thread starter macrumors member

A follow-up.

My battery has degraded still further. Having switched off (shut-down) the macbook with 20% charge remaining this morning, I came back and found it completely dead this evening, requiring mains to boot.

Giving up I called Apple earlier this evening and gave them the figures from the profiler. After checking with 2nd line support I was told I was in luck - I qualified for a new battery to be shipped to an address of my choice. This will be my third battery...