Battery health concern - 2010 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaizen, May 6, 2010.

1. Kaizen macrumors member

I've had my 2010 17" Macbook Pro for about a week, during which time the computer has been used about equally plugged in as battery only. I've also done a battery calibration by running the computer until sleep, letting it sit overnight, and then charging it back up the next day.

I've noticed that the 'battery health' as reported by the iStat widget has been steadily decreasing. While it started at 99%, it's now (and keep in mind this is only after one week of use) at 95%.

Has anyone else noticed their computer's battery health deteriorate so quickly? should i be concerned about this?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

One battery thread every ten hours or so.

The indicated health is fluctuating. I have my MBP since June 2009, and the battery was down to 93% health. Guess what: it is up to 99% again.

That happens. Also MRoogle is an invaluable tool to search these fora.

3. Kaizen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i'll check out MRoogle. I knew there has been some threads on disappointing battery performance relative to apple's claims, but i haven't seen any specifically on battery heatlth.

4. silexh macrumors member

silexh

Do not forget to check the hover text everybody :D!!!

But it is true, some things you don't need (or want) to extrapolate. If your health gets under 80% before 1000 cycles or 5 years, give Apple a ring. Until then: "Not to worry"...

5. Inside_line macrumors regular

Nobody has any clue as to the battery game...

The more you use it, the more it wears out. Stop "calibrating" your battery timer. Why do you think they are rated in terms of cycle count?

These batteries are happiest left at like 80% charge, not 0% or 100%... you can find that on apple's site as well as other lithium battery sites. But apple has taken that control away from you, as long as you have the computer plugged in, you are inevitably at 100%.

Don't forget, apple is a hardware company, they make money selling you computer cases, motherboards, and.... uhhh batteries!!!

9-10 hours gets you to buy the computer.... then the battery dies and they get to sell you another big battery... cha-ching!

6. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

So I started the Calibration process on my new 15" MBP the day I got it. I charged it and killed it that evening. I left it over night and brought it to work to charge it again.

When it was charging (the latter half of the calibration process) the power cord got unplugged 3 times for a short amount of time each time....short question. Did I ruin the calibration?

CococuntBattery says the life of my Battery is 97%. And my battery timer went from almost 8 hours to 5 in less than an hour whilst doing nothing other than simple web browsing.

7. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

I've had my Pro for a couple days and the battery keeps going up and down, says ive got 5 hours then 6 then 3 then back to 6.

As soon as i take the charger off it immediately drops from 100% to 99%.

Fix it apple!!

8. rk1991 macrumors regular

Its not broken..there is nothing to fix.
    That is just how the battery works. Once your macbook reaches over 95% it is considered charged so only when the battery goes below 95% it will start charging again. So when your batt is fully charged at 100% and is still connected there is no charging going on. All the power that you are using is coming directly from the outlet not the batt. So if you use more power than is coming in than the extra power will be used from your batt. Sometimes my battery has dropped from 100 to 99 while it was on charge.

9. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

aww i see now!!

still bugs me tho, my old mac use to hold its 100% for a wee while.

The Pro holds about 5 - 6 hours. Still tons more than the old girl!