Battery Health Concerns.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by medulla, Jun 15, 2012.

1. medulla, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012

medulla macrumors regular

First of all I'd like to say what a beautiful community this is, I've been following it for quite a few days with all the concerns, hype and excitement with all the new products.
    Secondly, I've been with the MacBook Pro line since about 2008. I got the Early 2008 version and they updated their line just that year and I've been with it ever since. Was a 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of Ram. Was a very pleasant device.
    Finally, 4 years later I've upgraded to the new MacBook Pro Retina Display. What a stunning device this is and how much of a difference it is to the old MacBook pro I used to use. I built it to 2.7 Ghz with 16 GB of Ram and this thing is solid quick. Hopefully, it can continue this way and the Mac software updates can only make the experience more pleasant.

Through my worries on how to charge the battery and trying to maximize every possible minute out if it, I installed Battery Health. I used to use it on the my old laptop and used to be precise. However, on this one it tells me I have 101.2% of Battery Health remaining. Which is surprising because I though these come calibrated?
    Secondly, in my battery age it also says 1.3 Months. Is this fine? I only got it yesterday..
    Thanks in advance.

40 minutes later, the Battery Health has gone down to 99.7 and the cycles has changed to 2 while I haven't even taken the charger out of the box let alone connect it..

Attached Files:

2. monkthehonk macrumors member

I am not sure about the MBPR but in my experience with those battery life/ cycle indicators, they can vary small amounts in a matter of minutes. I don't think its too big a deal, but just my 2 cents.

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'm no battery expert so I can't explain this phenomenon, but I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it gets way weirder. Calibrations and estimations can't be 100% accurate all the time.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Some battery apps, such as coconutBattery, have been known to have accuracy issues, especially with the age readings (which is the age of your Mac, not the battery, but in this case they should be the same). I'm not familiar with your app, but you could try iStat Pro, which is quite accurate, to see if it shows the same thing.
    This also leads me to believe your app isn't accurate. See if iStat Pro shows the same number of cycles. If it does, you might have a defective battery.

5. Predator69 macrumors member

Predator69

So Battery Health is more accurate than coconut battery ?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd recommend iStat Pro. It's very accurate, and tracks a lot more than just battery info.

7. Predator69 macrumors member

Predator69

Cool man it is indeed very much more information for the whole MAC in general many thanks GGJstudios!!!! Kudos to you.