Battery health declining?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Calsef, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Calsef macrumors newbie

I just got a MBP about two weeks ago. I've gone through about 9 charge cycles, and my battery health has been dropping much faster than I think it should. I've been using iStat pro and Coconut battery, and my battery health is already down to 96%. Is this normal? I have friends with over 30 cycles who still have 100% health, and I'm not doing anything weird in terms of charging or use.

Thanks for any help

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Hmm, that's odd. My iStat Pro is showing 100% battery health with 33 cycles.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

read this. it might not answer your question directly, but it's good information to have. have you calibrated the battery at all?

4. techguy40 macrumors regular

How come by battery shows 97% charged, health 100% and its fully charged and plug is in showing green? why its not showing 100% charged when fully charged?

I had the macbook pro for one week now and 4 cycles shows.

5. Silent!Avenger macrumors newbie

4 cycles - 98% Health.
    I'm using the newest Penryn edition of the MBP.
    Used iStat Pro

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It won't start charging again until it reaches 95-96% charge.

7. techguy40 macrumors regular

Thanks

Is it better to have macbook pro plug in when near a plug?

What is a battery cycle? what causes me to already have 4 cycles in one week? How is it computed?

how many cycles will a macbook pro battery stop working?

8. Silent!Avenger macrumors newbie

After many cycles, your battery will not be able to hold its charge as good. You might be able to get 2 or 3 hrs max, as opposed to over 5 hrs. Plugging it in is one way of stopping the wear of your battery. But keep in mind, as time goes on, your battery will 'naturally' become weaker. I plug my laptop in when Im near a socket, but I don't stress out too much about it. If worst comes worst, you can always buy a new battery. From experience, most of my batteries lasted 2 years before they needed replacement (they held less about 40-50% of their original charge). I would probably say I do about 250 cycles a year.