Battery Health Drop To 94% After 2 Charges?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLog.Genius, Mar 6, 2009.

1. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hey all,

Quick recap of what's going on: new MacBook Pro. The first thing I did before loading any applications or configuring to my liking was calibrating the battery. Now through iStat Pro and Coconutbattery, after only 2 charges, the battery health is at 94 percent. I know in ideal conditions, everything should be good just as long as the health doesn't go below 80% before 300 charge cycles. Considering that, should I be looking at the 6 percent loss as a sign that my battery could possibly faulty or is this perfectly normal because some users on this forum have had health 94% after 30+ charges.

(Sorry if this is a repost, never really understood the whole battery thing!)

Thanks.

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

There may be something wrong with your battery. I have 7 cycles, and my battery is still at 100% health. (Although it does say the age of my Mac is 123 months...)

This is on a brand new 17" MBP so the battery is different... I'd still get it checked out doesn't sound right to me.

3. iLog.Genius thread starter macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Had a gut feeling that something could be wrong. I'm getting the 123 month old stat too, found out it's nothing about the computer so shouldn't worry about that.

What I think I'm going to do is let it die a few more times and charge it back up and see if the health decreases any further.

4. NickM macrumors 6502

You're probably already doing it this way, but just in case....

On Apple's website, they suggest to charge it as high as it will go, then use the computer until the battery drains fully... then turn it off and let it sit for AT LEAST 5 HOURS.
    Then recharge it up all the way.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

5. iLog.Genius thread starter macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, calibrated the Apple way down to a "T".

6. drummer22 macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem. When I first installed istat pro it said my battery health was 94% with 20 cycles. Then for one day it randomly jumped it to 95%, then back to 94%. Two weeks later it went to 93%. And just now it went to 92% with only 34 cycles!

Whats going on?!

By the way, I have a previous gen Macbook Pro (bought in summer 08).