Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
So I’ve had the XS since launch date and as of yesterday the battery health was 94%. First off, is that normal to be at 94% after 10 months? I’m a pretty heavy user I’d say. But when I checked today it went from 94% to 92%. What the heck? Is this normal to be at this level after less than a year?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Well it’s at 92% now and yesterday it was 94 so I have no clue how it could drop 2 percent overnight

The battery app is not absolutely accurate.
Wait until tomorrow and when you take it off the charger see what it say then.
If it drops a few more tomorrow, that would be something to get excited about.

The battery on my last two iPhones were still at 100% after a year of use. How do you charge your iPhone.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
You might want to start a chat with Apple. Since it's under warranty, now is the time to take care of a battery issue.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
The battery app is not absolutely accurate.
Wait until tomorrow and when you take it off the charger see what it say then.
If it drops a few more tomorrow, that would be something to get excited about.

The battery on my last two iPhones were still at 100% after a year of use. How do you charge your iPhone.
I never let it go below 20%. Sometimes I even use it while it’s plugged in. I’m just a heavy user though. Probably about 8 hours of “Screen On” battery time each day.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
there really isn't a conversation (according to Apple) about your battery health until it drops below 80%. So ignore it and check it again next year.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Well it’s at 92% now and yesterday it was 94 so I have no clue how it could drop 2 percent overnight

The capacity isn't measured every night - it's an average of a number of charge/discharge cycles.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I would try not to get overly concerned by battery health to the point where you're checking it daily.
Think about all the batteries in your house. Think about the battery in your cars. You don't know their battery health, and it probably doesn't bother you. Ignorance is bliss!

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
I would try not to get overly concerned by battery health to the point where you're checking it daily.
Think about all the batteries in your house. Think about the battery in your cars. You don't know their battery health, and it probably doesn't bother you. Ignorance is bliss!
Haha you are totally right. Before they offered the battery health statistics I never thought twice about my battery health!
[doublepost=1563209816][/doublepost]So I don’t feel as bad because my girlfriend has had her XS for a month less than me and she is already at 90% battery health!

Reactions: scottcampbell

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
You might want to start a chat with Apple. Since it's under warranty, now is the time to take care of a battery issue.

Unless it's below 80% at a certain cycle count, Apple will tell him to pound sand, so no point talking to Apple.

Reactions: chabig

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Unless it's below 80% at a certain cycle count, Apple will tell him to pound sand, so no point talking to Apple.
True. That's the warranty point.

Battery health, when it does decline — and they all do — does so in a non-linear fashion.

Checked mine for the first time since new (October 2018). Now down to 95%. I'll be fine.
It’s an estimate. It didn’t actually drop 2% overnight, it was just recalculated. Nothing is wrong.
That, too.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
My battery health was reporting to be 93% and I’ve had the Xs since launch.

Just erased all content and settings, booted back up. Now it’s sitting at 95%. So I’d take these readings with a pinch of salt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.