battery health drops like crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shredder-, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Shredder- macrumors regular

I've had my MBP for less than 3 months and it's already down at 88%.
    Two nights ago I was at 92%. It's dropping more than 1% a day and I'm not even using it "that much". Tops 4 hours of work per day. Should it be like this?

[​IMG]

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't look like you have any battery problems to me.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Does to me. 12% drop after 78 cycles is unacceptable. I'm down to 91% after 312 cycles. I believe it is advertised to drop to 80% after 1000 cycles.

I would calibrate your battery and do restart etc and check if your still getting the same reading (could be error). If you are the battery is definitely not up to standard.

4. Shredder- thread starter macrumors regular

According to Apples website the newest MBP/A is not supposed to be calibrated?
    I don't know man, maybe I should take it down to an apple store and have it looked at

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Battery health fluctuates, nothing to worry about yet. Check again in a week. If it has dropped even more, then take it in and have it looked at. But most likely the battery health will have increased.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I wouldn't worry about 'battery health', I'd worry if you're noticing a perceivable degradation in usable battery life.

7. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem. Try an apple store and see what they have to say. My battery kept losing maximum capacity with way too few cycles.
    Let's hope they can give you a replacement battery

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

This. Personally, the battery health on my laptop has been in the 80's ever since I hit 75 cycles. However, since it's dropped into the 80's, I now have 211 cycles on my battery and it still stays right around the same percentage. I'm not worried about it personally. The day I see it drop below 80% with much less than 1000 cycles, then I'll be concerned. You have nothing to worry about.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Regular being the key word there. Nonetheless, my suggestion to calibrate it was to see if that updated the health monitor, regardless of whether it would prolong the battery life (I understand it's not essential to calibrate the battery).