battery health going down really fast on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sannekita, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Hi guys,
    I just got my MacBook Pro this tuesday. I downloaded the istat pro widget from the apple website immediatly. After just two days i saw my battery health go down 1 percent. I decided to look calibrate my battery as it says on the apple website (let it be fully charged for two hours, use it untill it's empty, and then leave it like that for at least 5 hours. Then i reloaded the battery again completely).
    I checked today and now it has 98% battery health. that means two percent per battery cycle! (i've only had 4 cycles!) or a little bit more than 0.5 percent per day!!
    should i be worried?
    thank you

2. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

I'm unsure if this necessarily applies to all machines and their respective batteries, although I'd think it does, but the health of batteries seems to fluctuate at times. I recall getting a new battery for a nearly year-old MBP recently, and checking the health on CoconutBattery and it would show it hovering around 96%-98% or so for a while. It would seamingly go up and down, but now it's resting about 100% of the original 5500, and it's been at this point for a good period of time.

I think that, unless your battery continues to plummet at unusually/unnaturally quick rates, it should be fine. It might go back up, although I can't offer any solution as to what could actually make batteries gain health when they actually do. lol

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

my new penryn MBP's battery is also fluctuating,
    first time i used it, off the box it was already at 98% health
    been using it on battery everyday and it's going from 98-99%

i think as long as it gives you 4:30 hours or more.. you're fine

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I talked the store about this and they say it's common. You shouldn't worry. There is a problem only if it gets to like 80% or something (but I'd think anything close to 90 on a new battery).

5. emoh macrumors member

My cycle count is 12. I can only achieve 5529 and the original capacity can go is 5600. I am not sure where I can find the remaining batt charge in percentage as I am using mini battery logger to rack my batt health.

I realize as often as your battery is drain and you charge up, the mAh increases.

6. sjb macrumors regular

Mine is fluctuating as well. I haven't had a chance to calibrate yet, but I definitely see at least 4:30 of performance on the battery during 'normal' use.