Battery health going down too fast?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brupmedi, Aug 3, 2011.

1. brupmedi macrumors newbie

As seen in the attachment, my battery health is 91% after 19 weeks and 71 cycles (maybe that's too much cycles for this amount of time?) I am a little worried about my battery life.

I seem to not get even 4 hours out of a full charge, and I just use the laptop for basic tasks, such as emailing, browsing, pictures and stuff, screen on low brightness and all. It has been bothering me for a while. I've never calibrated the battery because I just found out about it today, I'll do it later this week. Anyway, after I upgraded the OS for Lion, the battery seemed to be draining even faster, and the laptop seemed to be running hotter. I've read a few comments and a lot of people seem to be dealing with these problems. I tried a few tricks but I am not sure if the problem is solved.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips for me, or you guys think I should just take the computer to be checked at an apple authorized or something. :(

Attached Files:

2. jollygoodamy macrumors regular

It doesn't seem that bad for 19 weeks though. You should calibrate it soon just to make sure. Another way to see your battery health that is also more accurate is to use System Profiler. This is located in Applications > Utilities and can also be accessed by going to the Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info. Click on the Power section in the list and you’ll find information like the cycle count and condition rating. “Normal,” “Replace Soon,” “Replace Now,” and “Service Battery” are the categories Mac OS X displays to communicate the battery’s condition.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

dont worry

im @ 90% and my mac is about 40 weeks old i think [its been a while since ive checked :p]

i have read that you shouldn't really worry about it too much unless it dips below 80% which is when you shove it in front of apple and get a new battery or something, but live life, have fun, and play around with your computer :p

4. Emhaston macrumors newbie

5. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

91 after 4 weeks? I am not sure that is normal! My sister's rmbp is 20 weeks old and at 92%. Please check and calibrate the battery. If possible get it checked by a genius

----------

[/COLOR]
    Absolutely normal, my sister's rmbp is at 92%, 62 cycles and 20 weeks old.

----------

4 hours is unlikely at this stage. So check again and re-calibrate the battery.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. MattyDlotus macrumors newbie

Thats really poor imo. Mine is 6 months old, 180 cycles and 98% health

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    Yes, it's quite normal.
    The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.