Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
My health on battery has gone from in the high 80s to 76% recently. So is now the time to replace it?
7 years old MBP 13". The battery life is pants, but it's always been pants if I'm honest. Is it time for a new battery when it hits 76% health, and can you get a genuine Apple battery replacement anywhere, as you do hear some horror stories about unofficial ones.

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 1675

Condition: Normal

says internal readings

Normal meaning what?

ScreenShot2018-09-03at12.41.23.png

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
If the condition says Normal, probably still fine.
That shows currently can hold only 76% of its original capacity, doesn't mean you must change it.
Change it only if you need to have better battery life. If you want original battery, you have to go to Apple for replacement if they still have them.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks Dean, it does spend most of it's life on charge now, because it doesn't have the capacity to go anywhere.
So Apple wouldn't ever sell one, they'd only fit them?

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks Dean, it does spend most of it's life on charge now, because it doesn't have the capacity to go anywhere.
So Apple wouldn't ever sell one, they'd only fit them?

Yes, Apple doesn't sell parts, they only fit them and i think the 2011 is "vintage" now and they don't service them anymore.
Your best bet for a good battery/OEM quality is to buy from ifixit.com

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How long do you get from the old, but fully-charged battery?
If you can squeeze 3-4 hours out of it, and don't mind plugging it in to recharge while you use it, I would keep using it for now.

There was another poster here who reported problems with an ifixit.com replacement battery.
Be advised that you usually don't get "the long charge life" from "replacement" batteries (ANY of them) as you got from the original Apple factory-installed battery.
That's just "a fact of battery life".

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Oh that's interesting to know, thanks. I would say 2 to 3 hours on full charge yes. But not if watching any YouTube/Netflix, or any videos for that matter.

Although it's a sure fire battery killer, I burnt 2 x 60 minute music CDs from 100% charge in iTunes and it took it down to 10% in just 20 minutes. Bad example I know as that's a sure fire killer, but it was never THAT bad. What really alerted me to this more than anything was when I unplugged it last night at 100%, and literally with 5 minutes of no use, I looked at it and it was on 80%. That's the first time I'd really noticed it being that bad. I know after 7 years it doesn't owe me much. But bad time finance wise for a new one for me.

By 'long charge life', you mean the length of battery life, or the 8-10 hour Apple quoted charge.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
So I've been looking, and this company NewerTech NuPower 65W Battery (MacBook Pro 13") bigs themselves up as the best and better than the original... blah blah rubbish,
But then you see the reviews that say they only get 1 to 2 hours out of it. So question being, has anyone on here fitted a 2011 MBP with a really good and reliable battery of late?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.