Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Just curious really. Only had the 8 a couple of weeks and I read on here about 96% after ownership of a couple of years from many, and I’m at 98 after a couple of weeks. Are there any dos and donts these days? Should I care. I know their batteries aren’t the greatest but I would at least expect a 100% for the first few months from new, no?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Did you notice when it lost the first few percent? Was it that quick?

Does wireless charging and their heat to phone have much to do with this do you think?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Oh. I didn’t think it could go up, I assume it’d go down all the time. Just surprised I lost the 100 after couple weeks of brand new, when so many are up at 96 after 2 years.

The not letting it get below 50% before charging rule is pretty impossible to implicate and ridiculous for most of us, but would that make any huge difference.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I just got back my 7 from apple with a new battery. I got my 7 October 4th 2016. After almost 2 years are pretty heavy usage I was down to 87%(651 cycles).

I play Pokémon go pretty much daily and totally put the battery through hell. Although I did pick up a smart battery case in summer of 2017 so that helped bring the cycles down. I totally noticed a difference in battery life into the second year of ownership. I’d say (without playing Pokémon go) I lost about a good 2 hours of screen on usage.

Anyways, I guess if I was to make a point it would be, don’t stress so much about the battery and health. Just use it and plug it in when u need to charge it. I used to be obsessed with maintaining health and all of that but once I started playing Pokémon go and I have kids and so much else going on, really at the end of the day or earlier if needed... just plug in and don’t worry! If the battery needs to be replaced it will be $50 starting next year. No big deal. Have a good one. :)

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Fair point thanks. I have been using iPhones since the 4 came out, and have always struggled with battery life, but this is the first time I’ve had an iPhone that shows ‘battery health’, so stupidly delved into it. But yes, correct, it’s not a major issue. I just wondered if that was a fault to reduce percentages so quick.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I also got a 7 in oct 2016 and my battery was down to 85%!
Replaced the battery free just last week and I'm back at 100%.

Just use the device and enjoy it.
I had apple care plus set to run out October 2nd and I sent my phone to apple. They replaced the battery and actually turns out they replaced the MLB which I’m guessing is the main logic board and also the microphone. So my iPhone 7 is set for another 2 years easy. But I may upgrade next year if there is promotion on the display.
[doublepost=1538313650][/doublepost]
Fair point thanks. I have been using iPhones since the 4 came out, and have always struggled with battery life, but this is the first time I’ve had an iPhone that shows ‘battery health’, so stupidly delved into it. But yes, correct, it’s not a major issue. I just wondered if that was a fault to reduce percentages so quick.
I think it just depends on the battery. And so many factors go into what gives them that number. Temperature, depth of discharge, charging conditions. Each battery is different. Some are better than others. Maybe it will stay at that number for months now. Maybe not. It’s hard to say. My best advice is to not let it run down to the iPhone shutting itself off hardly ever. I’ve had my batteries last a long time. My iPhone 4 is still on its original battery. Use it as an iPod. It has 924 cycles and at like 76% battery health.

Reactions: Peter Franks

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Just curious really. Only had the 8 a couple of weeks and I read on here about 96% after ownership of a couple of years from many, and I’m at 98 after a couple of weeks. Are there any dos and donts these days? Should I care. I know their batteries aren’t the greatest but I would at least expect a 100% for the first few months from new, no?

My launch day 8 still had 100% capacity when I sold it the other day. It all depends on what do you on your phone. Heavy games and workloads are going to be harder on the battery, of course, which will also result in more charging cycles.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Basically, this, Twitter, Safari, Mail, iBook, Texting, Camera are the majority workloads for me on phone.

Never really do games on it. Do that on the iPad. Do people really not let it go down to under 50. I bet wireless charging and when it heats doesn’t help. I’ve only used it about 3 times and it heats up on all occasions. Never let it run out to 0, yet....

Actually my 2011 MBP has just shy of 2000 cycles, and Apple wouldn’t touch it. But it’s still relatively chargeable. The fans on the other hand... if they didn’t show battery health we probably wouldn’t think about it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.