Battery health on macbook pro tb 2017

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Okey I may be overreacting but is it normal to have 51 charging cycles and battery health varies 96.5/97.5 %. I am using this laptop for a year now, I put it on charge around 50% and use it daily on battery it's s not plugged in all the time. So maybe coconut battery is driving me crazy but are the stats that I mention normal ? I guess they are but not really sure, I know that batteries degrade after time, and I never let my laptop go under 40%.

F23

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
My 2014 MacBook Pro is at 90 cycles. Try to use it while plugged in all the time.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Am I wrong to say that you are better off not keeping your MBP plugged in all the time? Shouldn't you discharge some of the battery and recharge to keep it healthy?

Last edited:

Khaleal

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2013
Am I wrong to say that you are better of not keeping your MBP plugged in all the time? Shouldn't you discharge some of the battery and recharge to keep it healthy?
From my experience it's best to keep it plugged in whenever you can, try to avoid high temperatures, and drain to 20-30% every two weeks or so. This is how my 15" Mid 2014 is at %95 battery health after a few hundreds of battery cycles.

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
From my experience it's best to keep it plugged in whenever you can, try to avoid high temperatures, and drain to 20-30% every two weeks or so. This is how my 15" Mid 2014 is at %95 battery health after a few hundreds of battery cycles.
That isn't recommended. Batteries need to discharge from time to time to be healthy. It's not ideal to never discharge them nor is it ideal to fully drain them to zero. Draining them fast and charging them fast are also not good for their health. Current day batteries tend to be pretty robust though and abusing them aren't as likely to result in premature demise so thus comes the usual advice... "stop worrying and enjoy your computer."

Reactions: R.Stoychev

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
MR will happily write articles on the latest prolapse Emoji or Joe Bloggs who left Apple’s janitor job, yet they still won’t do a sticky on battery health and why you shouldn’t obsessively check it.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
MR will happily write articles on the latest prolapse Emoji or Joe Bloggs who left Apple’s janitor job, yet they still won’t do a sticky on battery health and why you shouldn’t obsessively check it.
To be fair though, they can tell you how many days since the last iMac update.

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
To be fair though, they can tell you how many days since the last iMac update.
There are plenty of threads on this already though. If anyone really wants to know MR consensus on batteries, just search the forums. If you really really want to geek out and get a PhD in battery health, load up on caffeine and head straight over to Battery University.

BTW, I forgot to address the OP's actual question... Yeah 97% after a year is totally normal. It's pretty good actually. Mine was in the high 80's after 1 year. That was clearly abnormal and I'm going to head in for a battery replacement at some point this year before AppleCare runs out. I'm now in the high 70's after 14 months.

Reactions: R.Stoychev