Battery Health Percentages

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harry Muff, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Harry Muff macrumors regular

We have an early 2011 13" MBP that is showing 73%.

What percentage would a battery need to get to before you would describe it as "boned"?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple recommends replacing your battery when it drops below 80%, but you can safely use it as long as it holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, provided it doesn't exhibit signs of swelling.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Harry Muff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that.

The cMBP in question is showing 71% health and a current capacity of 4084 mAh of its design capacity of 5770 mAh.

That's on 534 cycles over almost 4 years of constant use.

OWC has a replacement for $99, does anyone know if it's a good replacment?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Service and Recycling

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I picked up an OEM battery off Amazon for about $85 is I remember correctly. Worth replacing.

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

As it's OWC I would recommend it. There are many knockoffs but OWC generally are known for good quality products.