Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
We have an early 2011 13" MBP that is showing 73%.

What percentage would a battery need to get to before you would describe it as "boned"?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
We have an early 2011 13" MBP that is showing 73%.

What percentage would a battery need to get to before you would describe it as "boned"?
Apple recommends replacing your battery when it drops below 80%, but you can safely use it as long as it holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, provided it doesn't exhibit signs of swelling.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Thanks for that.

The cMBP in question is showing 71% health and a current capacity of 4084 mAh of its design capacity of 5770 mAh.

That's on 534 cycles over almost 4 years of constant use.

OWC has a replacement for $99, does anyone know if it's a good replacment?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Service and Recycling

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I picked up an OEM battery off Amazon for about $85 is I remember correctly. Worth replacing.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for that.

The cMBP in question is showing 71% health and a current capacity of 4084 mAh of its design capacity of 5770 mAh.

That's on 534 cycles over almost 4 years of constant use.

As it's OWC I would recommend it. There are many knockoffs but OWC generally are known for good quality products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.