Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I have an iPhone XS which I purchased approximately around May 2020. As I remember, when first setting up and using my phone, the Battery Health indicated 100%. Then, about ONE month later, it was at 98%. Now, it is indicating 95%. I have Battery Optimization turned On. Is this normal?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
It depends on your usage. Really hard to say without knowing how much time you spend on it daily, what your charging habits are, are you watching videos frequently, do you play graphics heavy games, etc. Also is it the original battery? If replacement, by Apple or 3rd party?
I’ve seen year old iPhones on Swappa with battery capacities in the 80’s so your doesn’t seem too alarming at face value.

Reactions: MisterMillz

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Really depends on you. My step daughter literally murders a battery because hers is almost dead most of the time. I always keep mine above 75% and it makes a huge difference.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Yes, it’s normal as the battery health reading is a guesstimate. It is not always accurate. You need not concern yourself until it drops into the low 80s or you notice adverse effects—shorter battery life, random shutting down, etc.

james_b

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
My XS has 94% battery health after 14 months. Currently running iOS 14.4. Mostly web-browsing, messaging and facetiming.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I have an iPhone XS which I purchased approximately around May 2020. As I remember, when first setting up and using my phone, the Battery Health indicated 100%. Then, about ONE month later, it was at 98%. Now, it is indicating 95%. I have Battery Optimization turned On. Is this normal?
My XS came out of the box on 16th January 2020. This morning Maximum Capacity in Settings/Battery shows as 96%. For info I'm a light user, typically charging the phone (always wirelessly) every two days from wherever it is to 90% - 100% depending on if I remember to take it off charge.
I don't know what's normal, I do know that batteries age, and I'm fairly convinced that Battery Optimisation - at least in this model - does absolutely nothing, zilch, nada, sweet FA. I think neither you nor I should give our batteries another thought, we should just use our phones happy in the knowledge that we XS owners (we few, we happy few, we band of brothers) are the crème de la crème of the iPhone world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.