Battery Health Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blue04, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Blue04 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have been browsing these forums for a while and finally took the plunge and got a new 13 inch MacBook Pro last monday. Now I have a question about battery health. Six days after purchase my health went from 100% to 95% after 6 cycles. Today, it now has 92% health after 6 cycles. ( I properly calibrated the battery.) I am using coconut battery and istat pro to confirm these readings. I would like to know if this is normal or out of the ordinary. Thank you very much for your responses. I have apple care and an apple store 20 minutes away!

Stats: 13inch MBP 2.26, 4GB RAM, 160 HD.

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That doesn't sound normal. I'd take it to the Apple Store and ask them to replace the battery.

3. ordo1980 macrumors member

I'm interested to know too. My machine is 3 weeks old w only 2 cycles and is 95% after callibration. :(

4. gl4662 macrumors member

you know, i have the same issue. It seems like I was at 100% before calibration? and now its at 97%? The battery life i get is great, just wondering if what were having is an issue, so we can get it returned/exchanged before time is up.

another issue i would like to bring up is that my charge usually stops at 98-99% saying its fully charged? what is up with that? When i do get 100% charge it is down to 98% by the time it calculates after i unplug the computer.

Could this all be due to improper calibration? because the battery life seems like its pretty good..

Attached Files:

• bl.jpg
      bl.jpg
      File size:
      73.1 KB
      Views:
  5. scho047 macrumors newbie

i have simlair incident too...gpt down to 99%.... but however.. when i left the battery in charge for longer... ie like 30 mins or an hour after it has turned into green... this has gone back up to like 5610 capacity.. which is beyond the original capacity as stated which is 5450...
    and since then... it hovers around 5588 to 5610 depending on how long i leave it on charger...

give this a try and let me know... and also have started computer along with the app - coconutbattery...

cheers

6. Blue04 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that tonight and post later tomorrow.
    I think I will also call apple support and see what they think later on in the week. Thank you all for the continued support and answers!
    Gl4662- My macbook does that sometimes and I remember reading where that is some what normal.

7. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Thought I would add mine for you guys to compare. I leave mine plugged in 24/7 and occasionally unplug it for 10-15 mins when I'm not near an outlet. I have not calibrated it but seems to work fine as is.

[​IMG]

8. Glueeater macrumors regular

I think I'm one of those rare cases of having a good battery? I have the original Unibody revision…

216 cycles | 9 months | 100% Health [4603 mAh / 4600 mAh]

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's still within spec. I wouldn't get worried unless it drops below 80% capacity in the next few months.

10. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

You should do an initial calibration even if you don't use it on battery power much. Calibrating it once a month or so will increase its lifespan. :cool:

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Battery Health will vary all the time.
    After owning laptops for 10 years and checking batteries about every month, I can clearly say that max health varies with +/- 5% at all times.

If you have 95-96% and less than 10 cycles, don't worry, but check if its still aboove 95% after 25-30.

MY MBP stayed at 90-100% untill atleast 250 cycles, then it started to gradually drop, and it's about 59-64% now, at 605 cycles.

12. maddin4j macrumors member

If you think your battery is weird then take a look at mine:

[​IMG]

And I have used it for about 13 months...