Battery health

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Jul 3, 2016.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I have Coconut Battery on my iPhone 6s Plus. Should the battery healthy vary a lot based upon how charged the battery is? I feel like in the past the battery health was pretty steady but right now it can vary 30% points depending upon the battery charge.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Well, I think it is more relevant to its natural degradation curve, which means in the early stage and near end of lifecycle, battery life will vary greatly, but most of the time it will remain steady.

3. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

30%? Wow. My coconut battery for my 6+ varied at most 5-8%? It's been steady for my 6s+ but I make sure to only take its health with coconutbattery when it's near fully charged. 3% difference from when I plugged in to full charge was normal for me.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I posted this in another thread about Coconut Battery vs. Apple's diagnostic.

"There is a reason for this. The tools that Apple uses looks at the average battery capacity. Coconut Battery and iBackupBot show the real time battery capacity. The battery capacity changes every 5 seconds, depending on usage, charging, and temperature. Apple's tool is more sophisticated and only grabs the average. If you use Coconut or iBackupBot, you will notice in one day it can give you a 20% range. Ive seen as low as 85% and as high as 105% in a matter of 20 minutes. So Apple's tool combines the average and spits out a number."

30% range for a day seems a little high, but not necessarily unbelievable.

5. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68010

MuGeN PoWeR

I am unable to download coconut battery. Can anyone send the link

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

coconutBattery Mobile by Christoph Sinai
    https://appsto.re/au/GjV1cb.i
    Note this is only useable in iOS 9 and below.

7. willmtaylor, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

To be clear, you are talking about this app, yes?
    image.png

Because when you say "on your iPhone," it makes me wonder if you've downloaded an imitator, as this is an app that one downloads onto his/her Mac, not iPhone.

Just checking.

I see that Christoph Sinai has indeed put out an iOS app for Coconut Battery. I was unaware. Thanks, @Shirasaki .

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Once you upgrade to iOS 10, the app will no longer work. But the Mac version will.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Is this iOS security or just the fact that the decision has yet to update the app? (It's only 4 weeks old after all.)

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats a relaunch of the app. It came out in Sept. and Apple pulled it. In iOS 10, Apple hides battery information on purpose. Only way to access it on iOS 10 is via Coconut Battery or iBackupbot on Mac. There are a few other iOS apps out there. Battery Life is a free one. Battery Health was pulled by the developer after Apple told him to do so.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Really? I hadn't heard all of that. Well, Apple knows best. :cool:

12. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

There was no reason to do this...Apple is trying to dictate what you can see and I'm not happy about it.

All the more reason to stay on ios9.

13. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well Apple replaced my phone. They said that the battery was fine but that the diagnostic said it wasn't putting out reliable battery info? Anyway, I never liked the battery life on that phone. FWIW, it was a Samsung chip. My original TSMC seemed much better even before I knew about the chip difference. I have another TSMC chip and it is like night and day. Wonder what to attribute it to. I had had the first phone from launch until December and the second from December until now.