battery help :( please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qwertya, Jul 28, 2008.

1. qwertya macrumors newbie

my battery is not charging. it was working yesterday, i really dont know what happened... can i restart, my battery.. cause it just 0%... and its not working at all without cable... help...

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Can you start it up while plugged in? What model of computer are you using? Does the battery indicator in the menu show an x or 0%?

3. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I have a MacBook and experience the same problem 4 months ago and I just assume the battery had it. I was planning on selling it so its just been sitting here because I haven't had a chance to take it to the nearest Apple Store to try and exchange the battery. It would be nice to know if something else caused this or if there is something wrong with the computer itself and not just the battery.

4. qwertya thread starter macrumors newbie

i did (restarted) a few times, i guess my battery is not getting any electric (the small 4 green light under the battery is not working tho)... my laptop is MacBook... i m gonna give its speacialities and the problems picture with imageshack.. thanks for helipng...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Try an SMC reset as described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

it could be the Power Adapter. When you plug it in to the MB, does the LED on the magsafe connector glow amber or green?

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Nah, can't be the power adapter because otherwise it wouldn't startup.

If the SMC reset doesn't work you'll have to get a new battery.

Details

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sorry, I missed that (the restarts he did that is).

9. saminsocks macrumors regular

Go to the Apple Menu and click "About This Mac", just like you have in your second screen shot. Click on "More Info..." In the "Hardware" section is a section that says "Power". Click on that and it will give you information about your battery. Under Battery Information look to see what it says for "Full Charge Capacity (mAh). That number should be greater than 5000. Also, check out the number of cycles. I forget how many cycles a battery typically should have, but obviously the lower the better. If your capacity is below 5000 or your number of cycles is high, there is a problem with your battery and you'll need to get it replaced. If neither of them are off, it's most likely a problem with the computer or the adapter. Either way, if the SMC reset doesn't work you will probably need to have your computer serviced. The good news is that if it is a problem with your battery you may be able to have them just send you a new one and return the old one when it arrives if you're not near an Apple store. That way you won't be without your computer. If you are near an Apple store they can just replace it for you right there.