Battery Help Please!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by guzmansg, Apr 23, 2009.

1. guzmansg macrumors member

OK here's my problem, my months old MacBook's battery is acting up. I can fully charge it, shut it down, and restart it a couple of hours later. Every once in a while when I do this, my battery seems like it's drained. Here's a pic of my coconut battery screen. It's been at 5% for about 90min. I'm pretty sure the battery its charged but my menu bar and coconut battery say something different. There has been a few times when I've had the computer shut down on me after I thought it was fully charged. Thanks to anyone who can help or is having the same problem.

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Look into the System Profiler under Hardware > Power > Battery Information > Charge Information and see what your current Full Charge Capacity is.

If it is the same as in Coconut, or low like it, you should bring it into an Apple Store or authorized Reseller, as you battery has less than 300 cycles (unlike in Farscape) and less than 80% health (capacity).
    So you should be able to exchange the battery.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Re-calibrate your battery:

1. Fully charge battery and let is stay charged for at least 2 hours
    2. Drain your battery until it notifies you and goes into sleep mode
    3. Let your computer stay in that mode for at least 5 hours
    4. Recharge your battery until it's full.

That might or might not work. It looks like you have a bad battery.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er... with just a 235 mAh remaining limiting charge capacity of your 'months old' battery... its pretty much obvious that its dead!

Replace it. Nothing else will work unless you plan on crippling your notebook as a permanent desktop!

5. iBecks macrumors 6502

Apple suggest that you do this a couple of times to recalibrate a run down battery.

Of course, it could be a charging issue, so I would take it to an Apple store after doing the above.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I had a similar problem with my phone; when I first got it, there was a small strip of paper between the part where the battery connects with the phone. This then caused it to only show the charge as either 100%, 50%, or 0%, and call it an 'Alien' battery. I took it out with some tweezers and subsequently the phone worked perfectly. Check there is nothing in the way of the battery connectors on your laptop, just in case.

7. guzmansg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all who replied.....I really don't know if this is an issue with only the battery. Sometimes I restart the computer after it showed the battery was dead and after the restart, it'll be at full or close to full capacity.