Battery,Hibernation,Freezes and Resets! Why Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tylerdurden9, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tylerdurden9 macrumors member

Hello folks,
    Ive recently been experiencing a few problems with my unibody macbook pro and would love anyones contribution or help on the matter. These problems include:

Battery dying when battery percentage is around 20%, no warning etc.

Not restoring after battery dies, ie. ram not transfered to hard drive so mac reboots when connect to power source.

Occasional freeze after hibernation, even when plugged into power source.

Finally when I reboot after the battery dies, it unusually switches from "higher performance" graphics to "better battery life". I cannot understand why this is happening?

I have already preformed an SMC reset, PRAM reset and re-calibrated the battery but it hasnt helped and after trolling the forums I am stuck for a possible solution or explanation?

I have yet to upgrade to snow leopard and wonder will this have any positive effect on my problems?

Any help greatly appreciated folks.

Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I cannot answer why the hibernation issue causing problems but have you calibrated your battery?

Te symptoms of it dying at 20% are indicative of a battery in need of calibration.

3. tylerdurden9 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have calibrated the battery, as stated on apple support. However i still do not get the stated time on the battery meter, it may shut down at 20% or go till 10% it all seems quite erratic.

The only way to comfortably use my macbook now is to keep it permanently plugged into a power source.

I would love to bring it to a apple store but unfortunately there is no such luxury in Ireland. I may give them a call, but im sure they will just suggest everything I may have already done. Personally I have always found the forums here more helpful and informative than anyone on apple customer support.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if you don't have an apple store that you can go to, then calling is you're only option.

5. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Since there are no Apple Stores... Are there any Apple Authorized Service Providers in Ireland? They will be able to help you out too if there are (the addresses should be on the Apple website if they have them there).

6. tylerdurden9 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to bump this guys but I have managed to sort most problems out.

Re-calibrating the battery a third time seemed to the the trick, however it will not restore from hibernation if left without mains power for longer than ten or fifteen minutes. Im wondering should I contact apple about this problem?

Also one problem which im finding rather frustrating and unusual is every time i restart, my energy saving settings are changed from "higher performance" to "better battery life". Is anyone else experiencing this or know of a possible cause?

Thanks again guys :)