Battery "Home & Lock Screen"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by EJ8, Oct 1, 2014.

1. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

What exactly is this? And how do I lower its battery drain? I am averaging 18-20%. Is that normal?

Attached Files:

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

spend less time on ur home & lock screen? reduce screen lock time lock the device as soon as ur done using it etc..

3. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Stop looking at your phone.

In all seriousness, what do you think it means?

Its telling you that 18-20% of battery drain is occurring due to the Lockscreen being visible (i.e. notifications waking your screen) or Home Screen (you starring at it deciding which App to open).

I'm not being sarcastic. That's literally what it means.

4. EJ8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

EJ8

But it's so beeeeeutiful! :D I guess I do check it a lot. Look at it alot. etc. Damn.

5. Padmini macrumors 6502a

:D You should be fine. That is at least 1 Battery drainer that is easily controlled, and won't be draining when you're not using it.

6. razmarino macrumors member

razmarino

7. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

How did you manage to not fully charge your phone to reset the usage counter?

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I noticed that my number was high for Home and Lock Screen when I was restoring my iCloud backup. I'm not sure if that's because the restore (or maybe the install of apps) counts toward that bucket or if I was just looking at the home screen a lot to check on the progress (or maybe both)

I'm assuming this isn't the issue for you because you're looking at the 7 day number, but I thought I'd mention it here in case others see the same thing.

9. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Isn't home and lock screen just like the 'screen' on android's battery indicator, meaning the screen is what is causing 18-20% of the drain?

10. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

This is exactly what I thought too.

11. EJ8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

EJ8

I was in a hotel last night and my charger was in a very loose outlet and when I woke up it was unplugged and my phone was at about 25%. Been charging it some from the office this AM.

12. sscaltri macrumors member

Battery drain

You can't lower it. The iOS 8 isn't stable and things are happening when the phone is in standby mode. I know I am consistently dropping wifi and these appear in the crash log. Sad when the lock screen results in the biggest battery drain. I guess Apple wanted us to look at our phones and not use them.

13. pish6969 macrumors regular

I don't see that "battery life suggestions" tab that I see in the pic? How do I enable that?

14. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

turn off auto brightness which will make ur battery worse, unless u lock it at a low setting so u cant see ur screen outside or in a bright area, & itll appear

15. Zxxv Suspended

I think its settings/general/handoff and suggested apps. Location services put suggested apps on your lock screen when your close to a store or area. Could also be linked to location based alerts in settings/privacy/location services/system services

turn them off and see if it goes down.

on a side note...
    Maybe turning some of that off apple pay may not work though I'm not 100% sure (its not released yet anyway so its not applicable at this moment). Saying that id expect apple pay on lock screen to be built into the system and not be able to turn off when a user opts into using apple pay because else it could cause cues and bad press at the tills whilst people try to call the apple pay up.

16. sscaltri macrumors member

I have just about every location service turned off, background refresh is off, etc. I still have battery drain. I restored last night from iTunes. Deleted old Icloud backups. iCloud drive is off. Keychain is off. We'll see if restoring helps.

17. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

It could be an app which isn't yet updated for iOS8 and is draining your phone in the background. Although you set location/GPS, notifications and background refresh off for all apps including the one (or more) causing the drain. I had such an issue when i changed from iOS6 > iOS7. The app kept using iBeacon in the background for some reason.

When i removed the app the usage time was back to normal. The app released a fix weeks after the bug and they finally resolved it. In iOS7 it was very hard to determine which app this caused. Luckely in iOS8 that a lot easier to see, although i hope that you can see this now in Battery usage.