battery i7 vs i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Apr 29, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

anyone have the time difference for battery life i7 vs i5 for either or both 15 inch or 17 inch

2. a4209797 macrumors member

that benchmark is moot imo. Even if you bought two exact similar MBPs they would have different battery life. so buying two MBPs with different specs (and different batteries) then testing their battery life is not the correct way to test what hardware gets more battery life. the only way to test the i5 vs i7 accurately would be to use the same battery in both computers. meaning opening up both and using only one battery so there is no variation in battery life due to the battery itself.

so don't go by that test, they don't know how to conduct experiments :)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The fact is that i7 has higher power consumption, so it will generally have shorter battery life, that's a fact you can't beat.

Your way is not better as it may lose its health while doing the test on first machine

4. a4209797 macrumors member

that's not a fact.

i5 = 0.8 - 1.4 V & 35 W TDP
    i7 = 0.8 - 1.4 V & 35 W TDP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...2Arrandale.22_.28standard_voltage.3B_32_nm.29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...2Arrandale.22_.28standard_voltage.3B_32_nm.29

and you're saying a battery can't be recharged and expected to perform very similar? it does not lose it's "health" after one use

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TDP is MAXIMUM usage! How could 2.66GHz use as much energy as 2.4GHz when they are based on same chip? 2.66GHz is just overclocked 2.4GHz with 1MB extra cache which means IT WILL USE MORE POWER, no matter what.

Charging battery is a chemical reaction which cannot be remade 100% the same, so it does not perform exactly the same...