Battery improvement suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silroc, Mar 29, 2011.

1. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

I did a forum search and tried some of the things like disabling ping etc, but no dice.

I also hard rebooted, drained to 3%, went to 100% etc etc..

As example of the drain, I get out of my place about 7:30 am, and by the time i am where i need to be at 9am i am at 83% or so.. With no real use (some light email)

I hope my actual battery is not toasted? I have a launch IP4, and didn't experience any noticeable issues before 4.3 and 4.3.1. How long do the iphone batteries usually last? I would think a couple years?

I guess my last option is to wipe the phone and restore? I've been holding off on that cuz its on my work network, and i don't feel like setting up the profiles again.. (i lost the paper instructions)

appreciate your expertise and suggestions

thanks

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

New oem batteries are $10 from sw-box.com. Try a new battery and see what happens.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

before you try a new battery post up your email settings.

How many accounts? List out if if its push, fetch, and the time period if fetch, or if its set to manual.

Also, post if you have multitasking apps running that use location based services all the time.

4. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

Turn Off if you don't use:

WiFi
    Notifications
    Keep brightness down
    Have your e-mail set for hourly
    Location services off(You can't track your phone if you loose it)

Also if this doesn't wore restore your iphone through itunes.

5. mtnbkr macrumors newbie

I literally went from 4 hours to a day and a half by turning off the push data option for my mail and selecting fetch new data every 15 minutes instead. Apple told me to close all the apps running in the background. That did nothing. Zero. Push to fetch was the difference between 100% aggravation and heaven. I googled the issue and had countless hits. I don't know if it matters but my iPhone 4 is dialed into my network at work. I told all the IT people at my work and after they told me they knew all about it (which was
    complete BS considering I called them before Apple and all they did was complain about their own battery problems), they all had a secret party and rejoiced.

6. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Fetch

Just got the Iphone4 and changed my setting from Push to fetch 15 minutes. Thanks for the post.

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Exactly.

Push just isn't more necessary than the extra day of battery life. Even my old iPhone 2G still lasts a day and a half without push turned on. I used it awhile back because I wanted emails faster with my new job but it was destroying my battery and I needed to charge mid way through the day. While some people may need push because they're that busy. Most of us can survive on fetch every 30 minutes to an hour or just manual. All you have to do is open the app and it'll check your email. It takes less than a minute and is worth the payback in battery life all day long.

8. mtnbkr macrumors newbie

It's bad enough people can hunt me down by email. They can bloody well wait til I check my email. And when I do, they can wait until I decide to get back to them. Screw all of them. They are really messing with my QOL.