Battery in Macbook - How to get best use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tianuk3, Dec 1, 2007.

1. tianuk3 macrumors member

Hello :eek:

Just ordered my Macbook, hopefully it will arrive by Monday. Would you be able to give me any tips to make sure I can prolong the battery for as long as possible? When I am using it like a desktop, should I just take out the battery (when it is fully charged) and use the laptop with the power cable, obviously when I want to be mobile I will put the battery back in (and take the powercable out).

I heard its also wise to run down the battery fully each cycle before recharging it? Any tips? :-D Cheers

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I don't know what would give you the idea of removing the battery from the computer while using it at the desktop. Lithium Ion batteries have come a long way from previous technologies.

When the battery has stopped charging, there is no wear on it while it is just sitting there. The computer will not charge the battery again until it falls below a threshold. (I think it is 95% charge).

You CAN calibrate your battery, and from what I've read, it's recommended to do this monthly. I wouldn't take it too far, know what I mean? Taking the battery out of the computer in some cases actually slows it down (at least with the MBP) as the power adapter at some points cannot deliver the full amount of required power to the machine.

If you want to be overly cautious, I'm sure there are hair-brained websites that will tell you all kinds of crazy things to do to extend your battery life (including sacrificing small animals). I honestly think just using common sense is enough.

3. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

Its just i've had my dell inspiron for 3 years..and after 1 year even though i never used it portable (just left it plugged into power) the battery lost its charge, thats what im worried about

4. PHILIP1193 macrumors regular

Battery's get memories. Thats why it ran out of battery life as you never discharged it.

I.e. if you use it a bit then charge it again and do this lots of times it remembers it. Same it with never running a battery fully down it rembers.

Batteries having memories is not me talking rubbihs btw even if it is my first post :p

Phil

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I don't think Li-Ion batteries have the "memory" problem. A quick check of Wikipedia confirms, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery. Of course this is a Wikipeida entry, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. The classic Ni-Cad batteries had the memory problem.